Should I start an IRA (individual retirement account)

jaxbusa

Established Member
The mutual fund you are invested in, if it’s held in a taxable brokerage account, is still subject to capital gains tax as well as taxes on dividends. Wouldn’t it be awesome if your gains, dividends and distributions were not subject to taxes? That’s what a Roth IRA is for. If you can afford to put money into an IRA every year after contributing to a 401k you absolutely should.

Also on taxes, to be tax efficient your mutual funds should be held in an IRA, ETFs in a taxable account.

Im an investment advisor at large firm. I’ll keep their name out of this for reasons.

This is the type of response I was hoping for. Yes, it’s held in a brokerage account. Can you see any down side to the Roth for my situation?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
I have a 401K, I contribute to a deferred comp plan, and I have money in a mutual fund. Do I need to start an IRA?

Does your company have a Roth available as well as a 401(k), and does it match one or the other? I switch to funding my 401(k) only AFTER my Roth is maxed out each year. My company matches up to 4% on whichever one I'm currently investing in.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Does your company have a Roth available as well as a 401(k), and does it match one or the other? I switch to funding my 401(k) only AFTER my Roth is maxed out each year. My company matches up to 4% on whichever one I'm currently investing in.

No Roth available and already matching 401.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I speak with a fiduciary every six months or so. I enjoy hearing from people on here because they’re not interested in selling me anything. A fiduciary, on the other hand, has insurance and their company investments on their mind. This is a check and balance for me.

I didn't read all the replies, however, the person you're speaking too, is not a Fiduciary if he's trying to sell you other products. Fiduciary has a very specific legal definitions.

I cannot get into specifics online. However, if you want to PM me a phone number I would be open to discussing your options.

SirShaun

Established Member
When I free up some equity I'm going to throw some money at a robo investor, skipping the IRA.

If your ducking the next tax bracket, then by all means go IRA.

I had always been under the assumption that capital gain tax was outrageous, but it's only 15-20%, access to your funds at anytime.

I'm thinking I'll try Betterment to invest for me.

Adower

Established Member
Max the 401k then move to IRA. I believe the compound interest on the pre tax dollars after 30 years will be greater than the taxes you would pay as long as you make 7% return.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
You absolutely should. Any saving for retirement is key. Exponential growth is the main way normal people (I’m assuming you’re not a millionaire) can live a comfortable life later on.

I myself have a pension, a 457, a 401k and an IRA. Looking to retire at 50 with a 6 figure income.

jshen

Established Member
I speak with a fiduciary every six months or so. I enjoy hearing from people on here because they’re not interested in selling me anything. A fiduciary, on the other hand, has insurance and their company investments on their mind. This is a check and balance for me.

If that is what he does- he is NOT a fiduciary!

As to IRA I also join the group of asking an "independent financial advisor" who has no ties to investments that his company sells/pushes. In my opinion, IRA s don't do much for me as you are limited in how much you can put in them. Remember the proposed benefit- you pay taxes later when you pull money out! That being said, there is no way in hell the govt is going to lower the tax rates-especially on IRAs..Taxes will only go up.
I contributed to an IRA for about 15 years and my money is stuck!..If your stocks or mutual funds take a dive- you cannot deduct a loss. I also have a 457 plan that is pretty much in the same category..and mutual funds have done relatively well..but again I am sweating the mandatory withdrawal at 70 1/2 for tax reasons. I started buying stocks & bonds years ago ..and cash dividends go directly into money money mkt /CDs...Ally is paying 2.75% and you don't have to dick with the feds.. Franky for me I saw no benefit to a Roth IRA..

I am thinking about buying gold coins..and holding them in my safe...Assuming prices rise..you sell & can avoid taxes if you do it right. (I am told)

Everybody's situation is different..

Last edited:

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
No Roth available and already matching 401.

Then I would contribute enough in the 401(k) to only meet the match (essentially a 100% return on your contributions). I would put the remainder of what you can afford in a Roth and would completely skip the IRA. If you max out the Roth by year's end, go back to the 401(k) with everything you're able. Any little bit of taxes you can write off now in an IRA or additional contributions to the 401(k) are nothing compared to how much you'll save by withdrawing contributions and interest from your Roth TAX-FREE when you retire.

Example:

You just put $6,000 in a 401(k)
In 30 years at 8% with no further investing you'll have $65,614

Question: Would you rather save the taxes on $6,000 now or on $59,614 later?

Just imagine what that would be like with REAL numbers like the ones it takes to actually retire.

Pay a fee to a financial advisor who has NO self-interest in how you invest, and he'll probably confirm what I've said.

And don't buy gold unless you have tons of money to throw in the trash.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Then I would contribute enough in the 401(k) to only meet the match (essentially a 100% return on your contributions). I would put the remainder of what you can afford in a Roth and would completely skip the IRA. Any little bit of taxes you can write off now in an IRA or additional contributions to the 401(k) are nothing compared to how much you'll save by withdrawing contributions and interest from your Roth TAX-FREE when you retire.

Example:

You just put $6,000 in a 401(k)
In 30 years at 8% with no further investing you'll have $65,614

Question: Would you rather save the taxes on $6,000 now or on $59,614 later?

Just imagine what that would be like with REAL numbers like the ones it takes to actually retire.

Pay a fee to a financial advisor who has NO self-interest in how you invest, and he'll probably confirm what I've said.

And don't buy gold unless you have tons of money to throw in the trash.

He said no Roth is available. Maybe he means that they don't offer one through his employer or his income (or combined income of him and his spouse) exceed the limit to benefit from the Roth.

In any event, I'm interested in where this thread is heading. I think what the OP is asking is if he has additional cash flow to invest now, where should he put it considering he maxes out on his employer plan already? Good problem to have, but I'm curious as well. We max our employer plans and Roths. I'd love to know what to do with savings or additional monthly cash flow (which is what I think he is asking).

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
high income is one downside to a Roth IRA.

Filing single? you can't contribute to a Roth IRA if you have income over 137,000
Filing married? You can't contribute to a Roth IRA if you have income over 203,000

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
He said no Roth is available. Maybe he means that they don't offer one through his employer or his income (or combined income of him and his spouse) exceed the limit to benefit from the Roth.

In any event, I'm interested in where this thread is heading. I think what the OP is asking is if he has additional cash flow to invest now, where should he put it considering he maxes out on his employer plan already? Good problem to have, but I'm curious as well. We max our employer plans and Roths. I'd love to know what to do with savings or additional monthly cash flow (which is what I think he is asking).

Yeah, you're probably right. I didn't have his numbers to go by. Thankfully, he can fund a Roth outside of his employer whenever he chooses unless he makes some serious coin. If I didn't have one so easily available through work (with some great funds, too, thankfully), I'd be chasing one with Vanguard or whomever.

I certainly don't make enough money to keep me out of a Roth! Wish I had that problem. :)

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member

Filing single? you can't contribute to a Roth IRA if you have income over 137,000
Filing married? You can't contribute to a Roth IRA if you have income over 203,000

Yeah, you're probably right. I didn't have his numbers to go by. Thankfully, he can fund a Roth outside of his employer whenever he chooses unless he makes some serious coin. If I didn't have one so easily available through work (with some great funds, too, thankfully), I'd be chasing one with Vanguard or whomever.

I certainly don't make enough money to keep me out of a Roth! Wish I had that problem. :)

Spot on. I'd love to be so unfortunate that I don't qualify for a Roth. LOL Maybe someday...

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I've often wondered the same myself as far as moving to a Roth and/or doing an IRA . I do 10% to a traditional 401k and the company matches 8%.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Do a 401k for the pre-tax benefit, and open a traditional and/or Roth IRA for the post-tax benefit.

verbal

Established Member

High income earners can contribute to a Roth through a back door conversion. You fund a traditional IRA and immediately convert it to a Roth. Your source of funds for the traditional IRA is after tax income. You don’t qualify for any deductions however.

Dimitri318

Established Member
In for answers on this thread, been wanting to ask you guys for awhile.

I’m 33 years old and I own a restaurant with my brother and father and the land it’s on and we're looking to sell the business and rent the property to set my parents up for retirement.

My question is what would be the best route to go for myself as well as my brother(he’s 32 and in same situation)? I’ve heard people tell me open a Roth IRA and put around $500 a month in it and just let it build. I haven’t talked to an investor and honestly don’t know exactly what a Roth IRA is. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
When I free up some equity I'm going to throw some money at a robo investor, skipping the IRA.

If your ducking the next tax bracket, then by all means go IRA.

I had always been under the assumption that capital gain tax was outrageous, but it's only 15-20%, access to your funds at anytime.

I'm thinking I'll try Betterment to invest for me.

15-20% for long term capital gains ie her for over a year. Short term capital gains are taxed at normal income. Either way it’s ****ing theft in my eyes.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
This is the type of response I was hoping for. Yes, it’s held in a brokerage account. Can you see any down side to the Roth for my situation?

downside to a Roth and traditional IRA is that you will get hit with a 10% penalty if you pull money out before 59.5 years old. So if you really, really need immediate access to the funds in your brokerage it’s best to keep it there. Otherwise the IRA is a great place to save. For me it’s all about being tax efficient. I don’t want the government taking my money. If they must take it I only want it to happen once, and at a time thats advantageous to me, not to them.

Important to note too, when I go over personal financial plans with clients there is a reason why their IRA’s are touched last for living expenses in retirement. You want that tax advantaged growth to work in your favor as long as possible.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member

And you can't make deductible IRA contributions either at that income level. Might as well do a back door Roth and save future taxes.

OP, please PM me or one of the other members who have responded who are obviously fee only advisors and set up a phone call. No advisor will be able to give you actual advice on a message board or even a PM. It's part of the rules we are mandated to follow.

I have my own RIA firm. I know at least one other member here does too. Several other members are quite obviously professionals also, based on their replies. You'll be well served by a second opinion, while will be free from any of us.

Users who are viewing this thread