Should I not Lower my mustang?

Clomonac

Whatsup everyone. I have a yellow '06 GT that I just bought staggered 19" AMR's for and now I'm thinking about lowering it, not much though.

Aside from the panhard bar, Originally I was only going to get SR Performance springs and drop it 1.5" all around and that's it... AM.com said I can get by without shocks/struts. Also, my good friend who's done suspension work to 4 cars said I could as well.

What do you think? Get springs or get a suspension package with springs, shocks/struts, and sway bars? Been totally confuse since someone talked me out of it.

Ablaze

Established Member
Me personally I wouldn't lower without upgrading the shock/struts. I went with BMR's springs, Koni STR.Ts, GT500 USM, FRPP jounce bumper kit, and Whiteline panhard. Looks incredible, rides incredible. LCA and relocation brackets are coming this month to finish things off. If you can, do those as well at the same time to fix the geometry that's been changed by lowering. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Clomonac

Sounds good, I was planning on just the dampeners and springs and the panhard bar of course. WHat is more important though the UCA & LCA's or the sway bars?

WHITELINE

Established Member
Sounds good, I was planning on just the dampeners and springs and the panhard bar of course. WHat is more important though the UCA & LCA's or the sway bars?

I'm going to say sway bars but it really depends on what you want out of the vehicle. I think in swapping LCA's all you're really trying to do is replace the bushings; otherwise the stock arm is fine the way it is with the exception of geometry (look into LCA relocation brackets). With the uppers you're still trying to eliminate the slop in the rubber bushings and ideally dial in your pinion angle.

Without knowing your exact driving style, goals, or setup I will say sway bars are an immediate improvement on most every vehicle. Now if you're vehicle is a pure straight line drag car and you won't need to turn..... you could probably ditch the sway bars and keep weight down. I find most consumers get more satisfaction with sway bars as it is a marked improvement over stock that users can notice.

Clomonac

I'm going to say sway bars but it really depends on what you want out of the vehicle. I think in swapping LCA's all you're really trying to do is replace the bushings; otherwise the stock arm is fine the way it is with the exception of geometry (look into LCA relocation brackets). With the uppers you're still trying to eliminate the slop in the rubber bushings and ideally dial in your pinion angle.

Without knowing your exact driving style, goals, or setup I will say sway bars are an immediate improvement on most every vehicle. Now if you're vehicle is a pure straight line drag car and you won't need to turn..... you could probably ditch the sway bars and keep weight down. I find most consumers get more satisfaction with sway bars as it is a marked improvement over stock that users can notice.

Thanks for the feedback. Im basically just an average driver. No track for me. I get back and forth with it and bring it to car meets with my buddies. Occasionally ill drive a bit aggressive going in and out of lanes on the highway if im late or tempted by someone else. Also, maybe a quick pull at a light on the street. Right now my car is stock except for exhaust, intake, and 19" AMR's 245/45 front and 275/40 rear.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
grab some used GT500 rear lower control arms. if you are not racing at the track they will be just fine, will reduce wheel hop but still keep a compliant ride. plenty of used ones around also.

as for the springs, 1.5" isn't bad. I daily drive on the FRPP k springs(1.5 eibach springs) and they were just fine on GT500 struts. I upgraded to tokicos later on and it was even better.

if I were you, grab used GT500 stuff with low miles. Grab the struts/shocks, lower control arms and sway bars. Then install them with the 1.5" drop springs. This will firm the ride up, drop the car but still keep it a compliant ride for putting around town.

and since you will save money with that I suggest grabbing a DSS aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft. Best mod I ever installed on my 05 GT.

Last edited:

07SGT5111

Established Member
yeah I would definitely look into some nice shocks. My car came lowered about an inch and half and going down the interstate it seems a little "hoppy" so I imagine stock "grandma can drive this" soft shocks won't hold up to that for long. Also Stiffer, more supportive shocks will only make the ride that much more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread