Should I just say screw it?

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
Hey guys. I bought my car 4 years ago, bone stock. I dont want to ruin the originality of the cobra so I said Id only do some bolt ons. Well, this is working out great so far because Ive added some bolt on go fast goodies and Im very satisfied with how much speed the car has with the stock motor. But one aspect of the car that Ive not found satisfactory is the ride and handeling. Ive been looking into basic suspension modifications and they all require things like drilling, welding, things that make my teeth shutter while thinking about it. I was thinking about c/c plates (gotta drill holes), subframe connectors, strut brace (drill holes). I just dont like the idea of doing this to a perfectly good 93 cobra. Ive lightly considered alternatives, like selling my car and getting a crappy 93 cobra that I wouldnt feel guilty about drilling into. Ive thought about getting an SN95. But really the truth is I could never bring myself to sell my car. I love it too much. What are some opinions from other 93 cobra owners about performing these modifications to my car? Any ideas are appreciated.

1993R

Established Member
I have always believed that if you use FMS parts then you were not hurting the cars originality. The same thing would have happened with Shelby owners. He had a catolog where owners could buy parts from him to upgrade the car.The value of these cars has not suffered. In some cases it has added to the collectability.

93BlkCobra

Established Member
I hear you Loud and clear!! How fast are you trying to GO????
And how much Susp. Do you want to be happy? Dumb Q,
It never ends man!
I would Not (Myself) Do much More To my 1993 Cobra.
And I am at a ponit to where I really don't want to?(Hope
this lasts) Really, I had a hard time putting the powerdyne on
it, I wouldn't do much more then some boltons and alittle
boost! Like you have now!
If you need some thing with 550rwhp and can out handle
vettes(Or what ever)
I would say Keep the 93 Cobra how she is, And buy a another
GT/LX for a project! My O2.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
8.72 @ 81 (1/8 mile) and thats before the blower went on. Now, its anyones guess as the car has enough power that I think I shouldnt be ripping it down the track. But maybe Ill see what she does at the end of the summer.

Ive got some Eibach Sportlines in the garage that I had on the car for a little bit when I first got the car. I loved the way it drove and handled with just those springs on. I removed them because front tire wear was really bad. Maybe I can use some FMS springs and get away with no CC plates? I wonder if the FMS springs handle as good as the Sportlines.

As for power, I am plenty happy. Id like to keep the driveline original and the original T5 is holding up wonderfully. For any more power I would add another stang to the stable. I just want to enjoy crusing my car around a little more, ya feel me? Were pretty much on the same page 93BlkCobra :)

Last edited:

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I said screw it. I want to have fun with my car not let it set in the garage just becuase its somewhat rare. I've got subframes welded on, put a driveshaft loop on which required drilling holes, added a strut tower brace which required drilling, on an on
:burnout:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by mustangcobra93
I said screw it. I want to have fun with my car not let it set in the garage just becuase its somewhat rare. I've got subframes welded on, put a driveshaft loop on which required drilling holes, added a strut tower brace which required drilling, on an on
:burnout:

I agree. Strut tower braces and subframe connector pros far outway the cons. Enjoy the car!

I have:

93 Cobra
01 cobra vert
04 SVT Focus
94 Must GT
99 EB Expedition

Sitting in my driveway. Out of all the 93 is my favorite car and yes I drive it nearly every day. Although my car has high mileage it is far from being a piece of shit. If you was to walk up to it you would never believe that has 172k miles or that it has many mods.

Only mod my Cobra will never see is a 6 point cage. That is something that is not real easy to remove once installed. All of other mods improved the car so much I would never think of removing them (but I have ALL OEM pieces just in case)

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
IMO add some springs that will lower you about 1", and put on some shocks/struts. I would also weld in some subframes. If you ever wanted to take them off you could grind down the welds to where you could never tell you had added subs.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
Hey Ryde On, I’m the person that bought your magnaflow tailpipes and g load brace. I have a 93 cobra now. I’ve added MM camber plates(no drilling at all), bilsteins, which I’m gonna switch to KYB adjustables. I just bought some suspension stuff from MM, steering shaft, bushings, endlinks, 4 point g load brace(no drilling), bump steer kit, and I’m gonna replace the steering rack. I look at our Cobra’s as the Boss’ and Shelby’s of the 60’s, its ok imo to change things that have worn out, or replace with high perf. Parts. Just keep as much stock stuff as possible. But, if you’re not the original owner, its harder to keep stock stuff that the previous owner didn’t keep. Shoot me an email, I’d like to check out your cobra. Email is [email protected]

93SVT-Jason

Established Member
Any suspension mods on these cars is only for the better. IMO, our cars have terrible bumpsteer and handling. Mine has 62K and looks like it has 10K. Every dollar I spent on my suspension was worth every bit and more! I went with the Kenny Brown stage 3 TrackKit Plus with panhard bar. That included springs, adjustable Koni's, urethane bushings for the steering rack and struts, strut brace, k-member brace (can't use with longtubes), subframes, and the panhard bar, which IMO, is the best part. It keeps that rear end centered and it goes where ever you want it to go. I also have Hotchkis caster/camber plates and a HPM bumpsteer kit (adjustable outer tie-rods).

Go fast mods are a cai, pro-m75, longtubes, catted-X, magnaflow catback, e303, motorsport driveshaft and 3.73's, and a shifter.

The car has gone 12.60's @ 107 w/1.75 60ft pretty consistently. That will change soon since I have a S-trim sitting in my living room! The best part about the entire car outside of how it looks, is the HANDLING IS AWESOME!!! It will give anyone a run for their money in the twisties if not smoke them! The nice thing is everything looks like it was supposed to be where it is, so if you don't have plans to get rid of your ride, why not do the things you want? Have fun!

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Mod away - subframes can be taken back off and welds ground down, as mentioned above. You don't have to drill the shock towers for a 3 bolt CC plate, as it fits the stock holes. If you're hesitant to do the strut tower brace, just don't do it, as I don't think it truly makes that much difference in your handling...

Save all your stock stuff and have some fun, for sure!

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Sell the original car and look for a cheap and decent car with a rebuilt title. I sold my 37K car and bought a 60K theft recovery that had been put together nicely. The interior was stripped but the exterior was perfect. I bought a black cloth interior for $500 and started working on mods without any guilt!

Paulvancouver

Established Member
thats what i did, i bought a front hit salvage car out of nevada, turned into a resto but im not as concerned about modding it,by the way not all c/c plates require drilling ie steeda, and as mentioned welds can be ground down, same with holes, you can fill them later if needed.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
KEEP IT!! I've always though your car was one of the better looking 93's out there. (Especially in that old paintshop pic from SN LOL)

Lee

Established Member
In my opinion, if you really want to start "modding", buy a cheap high mileage 5.0 GT or LX for under $5k. For much less than the price of a 93 Cobra you can easily create a Cobra killer and not be concerned about messing with a rare vehicle. I'm not immune to the "siren's call" of modding my beloved Cobra, but I resist because an unmolested 93 Cobra is difficult to find and worth more. Also, at car shows, an "original" Cobra sure gets a lot of attention. Now that I've said all that, you can see in my signature that I've done some minor mods that will hopefully keep the chasis tight for many years.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
1BAD93SVT, yea of course I remember you. So things must be going pretty well for you. You got a Cobra, thats great, welcome to the club. So, how is your cobra treating you bro, do you like it?

Im gonna say screw it and order some suspension mods. This is my car and I dont care if the resale value goes down, but Ill save every stock part. I just wanted to hear some imput from other 93 cobra owners. I love this car and I dont think I can drive anything else.

Lol, Hillie, I'll never forget that. I still got those saved incase I want to embarass myself one day. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread