Should I jump on a 2014 allocation at MSRP?

Naste50

Established Member
The first dealer swore they would go no lower than $10K over MSRP. Last Fall, I purchased an $80K F650 box truck (at invoice) from a different dealer. I thought, what the hell, I should call them. They said they had 2 allocations available and they would go for $2k above sticker. I mentioned my recent purchase at their dealership and that I may be looking to buy a new full-size transit or two in the near future when they are realeased (again, for our family's business). He then said he could probably get it done for MSRP. I'd be ordering it with every option as the total would be somewhere around $69535. I know from information I have read on this site, that the invoice price on this car would be roughly $62,800. They would be pocketing $6735+holdback money. (I understand there are also SVT dealer fees) The salesman contacted me yesterday saying he has sold one of the allocations and that his manager has agreed to the MSRP price on mine but I had better hurry. Here are my concerns:

1. Is MSRP on a 2014 a good price to be paying at this stage in the game?
2. Is it going to be the middle of summer before I can expect to take delivery?
3. I found a 2013, built the exact way I want it, listed for MSRP on Cars.com sitting in a dealer showroom and would think that they could do some dealing. That car is $400 cheaper because it's a 2013 but it is 900 miles away and there is still snow on the ground in my area.
4. I have a general distrust for dealers so I like to have my ducks in a row before I head in there. I guess that brings me back to concern #1.

Sorry for the diatribe but I'm thinking there are others in my shoes right now having these same thoughts. Recently, a close family member got sick and with treatment (radiation) was told he only has a couple of years to live. He is 32 years old. I have taken my cue to start living my life. I've owned 3 Mustangs in the past, 86 GT, 90GT, 95GT (still own the 95) and I figured if I'm going to buy a new Mustang, this is THE Mustang to buy. It's a hell of a lot of money so I am just looking for some opinions before jump headfirst.

AZZKIKR

Established Member
I'd go with the '13, have it shipped to you and tuck it away until the roads clear up, then enjoy it.. It has everything you want..

Kapy

Established Member
Go with the 13, at least you know for sure you will get one and at a good price.

Sorry to hear about your family member as well.

Last edited:

Naste50

Established Member
Thanks for all your input guys. I'll see if this dealer can sweeten the deal to push me over the edge. And thanks for the sympathy Kapy. Our whole family is pretty devastated. Life changes fast. One day you are fine, the next day you are being scheduled for emergency brain surgery and being told your life is being cut short. So sad. I'm not going to waste another minute of my life. 662Hp here I come.

hognutz

Established Member
I would do 14@msrp. 1 year newer same price. 13@ msrp at this point to me is too much. get that 13 at xplan or something then I would jump all over it.

once the 14's are on lots I don't know why anybody would pay msrp for 13. then again I don't understand why people pay ADM but they do.

I would have a hard time eating the shipping cost on a 1 year model older car for the same money.

Kapy

Established Member
I'd go with the '13, have it shipped to you and tuck it away until the roads clear up, then enjoy it.. It has everything you want..

Thanks for all your input guys. I'll see if this dealer can sweeten the deal to push me over the edge. And thanks for the sympathy Kapy. Our whole family is pretty devastated. Life changes fast. One day you are fine, the next day you are being scheduled for emergency brain surgery and being told your life is being cut short. So sad. I'm not going to waste another minute of my life. 662Hp here I come.

Hey Naste,

Something very similar happened to me that made me think the same way.

Had a close business partner at the age of 32 come down with stomach cancer.

Took him away in 6 months. That clearly made me think the very same way.

You only go around once on this planet. Got to make the best of it when you can.

Hang in there, and again extremely sorry for the situation you are dealing with.

phil123

Established Member
I guess it depends on how long you are willing to wait. We got our 13 in late June for MSRP and drove 800 miles each way. Yes we could have waited and probably got a better deal but this was the exact car we wanted and we didn't have to wait or get frustrated about build dates. Even though I know we probably could have saved at least several thousand no regrets because we have been driving the beast for eight months and loving it. We are in California so the car can be driven 12 months a year. A 14 at MSRP is certainly a better deal than a 13 at MSRP if you don't factor in the fact of being able to drive it right now. You are the only one that can determine how much that is worth to you. If you want to up the fun factor get rid of the GY's and put on Mich PSS's. Only mod we made or will make and well worth it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If they'll deal on the 13 I'd go that route...but if not I would rather pick up the 2014. The $400 markup will negate transportation costs of the 2013.

Kapy

Established Member
I'd buy the 13 at under sticker before I paid sticker for a 14.

Absolutely, why so much hype for the 14 when you can find a 13 at sticker or below? It is the same car. Outside of a color change.

drmustang

Banned
The first dealer swore they would go no lower than $10K over MSRP. Last Fall, I purchased an $80K F650 box truck (at invoice) from a different dealer. I thought, what the hell, I should call them. They said they had 2 allocations available and they would go for $2k above sticker. I mentioned my recent purchase at their dealership and that I may be looking to buy a new full-size transit or two in the near future when they are realeased (again, for our family's business). He then said he could probably get it done for MSRP. I'd be ordering it with every option as the total would be somewhere around $69535. I know from information I have read on this site, that the invoice price on this car would be roughly $62,800. They would be pocketing $6735+holdback money. (I understand there are also SVT dealer fees) The salesman contacted me yesterday saying he has sold one of the allocations and that his manager has agreed to the MSRP price on mine but I had better hurry. Here are my concerns:

1. Is MSRP on a 2014 a good price to be paying at this stage in the game?
2. Is it going to be the middle of summer before I can expect to take delivery?
3. I found a 2013, built the exact way I want it, listed for MSRP on Cars.com sitting in a dealer showroom and would think that they could do some dealing. That car is $400 cheaper because it's a 2013 but it is 900 miles away and there is still snow on the ground in my area.
4. I have a general distrust for dealers so I like to have my ducks in a row before I head in there. I guess that brings me back to concern #1.

Sorry for the diatribe but I'm thinking there are others in my shoes right now having these same thoughts. Recently, a close family member got sick and with treatment (radiation) was told he only has a couple of years to live. He is 32 years old. I have taken my cue to start living my life. I've owned 3 Mustangs in the past, 86 GT, 90GT, 95GT (still own the 95) and I figured if I'm going to buy a new Mustang, this is THE Mustang to buy. It's a hell of a lot of money so I am just looking for some opinions before jump headfirst.

You are exactly right. That is one hell of a lot of money. Amazing to hear these kinda stories about car salesman who could have been slingin hash at Bob Evans last week for 8 bucks an hour telling you to hurry up and throw 70 grand at him. Unbelieveable.

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
IMHO, MSRP is a fair price for these cars, and is about the average
of what they sell for.
Implement your live life now program and buy the '13.
Many of us in the past have put down deposits on allocations only to have the dealer sell the car from under us, not really have an allocation or have an allocation that may not be delivered for 6 months etc.
If you like the options and the color on the '13...buy it.
**Disclaimer on my opinon. Get what you want however: color options etc.
You will reget buying a GT500 thats not exactly how you want it.
If not the '13...then I would I would order the '14. But until you get a vin#, watch your back, and have a plan B.
Just my .02

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMHO, MSRP is a fair price for these cars, and is about the average
of what they sell for.
Implement your live life now program and buy the '13.
Many of us in the past have put down deposits on allocations only to have the dealer sell the car from under us, not really have an allocation or have an allocation that may not be delivered for 6 months etc.
If you like the options and the color to the '13...buy it.
**Disclaimer on my opinon. Get what you want however: color options etc.
You will reget buying a GT500 thats not exactly how you want it.
If not the '13...then I would I would order the '14. But until you get a vin#, watch your back, and have a plan B.
Just my .02

I don't think dealers pulling the rug on people is as prevalent as you think...

OP, if you order a 14, get a buyer's order on it, sign it and have the salesman/GM sign it. Your MSRP order would be locked in.

drmustang

Banned
I don't think dealers pulling the rug on people is as prevalent as you think...

OP, if you order a 14, get a buyer's order on it, sign it and have the salesman/GM sign it. Your MSRP order would be locked in.

Bull Crap! There have been 20 or 30 people just on this forum alone that have been royally screwed by their friendly neighborhood Ford Dealer telling them they would order them a car and it never happened.

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
A buyers order signed by the MGR/GM/DEALER OWNER or GOD himself is
worthless until you get a vin#.....

Users who are viewing this thread