Should i go with a Kenne bell 2.1 or F1-A PC?

dtonesfan

Established Member
Hey guys need some advice.
I got a 99 cobra with a fully built motor and want to add some boost.
I saw on the kenne bell web site the 2.1 with the intercooler setup and cant decide between that and a F1-A procharger. I love the way the F1 sounds but cant find a kit for it all i can find is kits with the P-1sc or the D-1sc. Also what setup would provide more power and with less strain on the engine any help would be greatly appreciated.

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
F1-A. If you can find a kit. As far as stress on the engine it goes PD blower>centri>turbo.

wma8706

Established Member
F1-A and the KB 2.1 are apples and oranges. F1-A = race, KB 2.1 is for street. How much power is your goal? I think the D-1sc is more comparable to a 2.1 KB.

wma8706

Established Member
if you want the most out of a PD blower... get the parts for an eaton swap and forget the 2.1 KB. Eaton swap will give you the same options as the Terminators....2.8 kb or whipple...etc. That being said a high powered centri with gears would prob. net you better times at the track. Turbos would give you the most power at the same boost level but are more high maintenance.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Hey guys need some advice.
I got a 99 cobra with a fully built motor and want to add some boost.
I saw on the kenne bell web site the 2.1 with the intercooler setup and cant decide between that and a F1-A procharger. I love the way the F1 sounds but cant find a kit for it all i can find is kits with the P-1sc or the D-1sc. Also what setup would provide more power and with less strain on the engine any help would be greatly appreciated.

All you need is a head unit and intercooler. The piping on a Procharger kit can be easily fabricated at any good local shop. I love that my piping is all one piece from head unit to intercooler and from intercooler to throttle body. Looks better too. I would only go F1-A if this is not a DD. Otherwise go KB for sure.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
a twin screw has two long screws that contact each other. Friction, heat, etc.

Centrifugals only point of contact is 1 small set of gears which are bathed in oil, combined with a turbo style impellar.

For every lb of boost, you will get less heat and more power from a centrifugal compared to a TS and a roots.

Last edited:

K2AHollywood

Established Member
a twin screw has two long screws that contact each other. Friction, heat, etc.
Centrifugals only point of contact is 1 small set of gears which are bathed in oil, combined with a turbo style impellar.
For every lb of boost, you will get less heat and more power from a centrifugal compared to a TS and a roots.

Makes sense and I think that difference would be greatly mitigated with the use of an intercooler. And last time I had my Kenne Bell open, I didnt see the screws touching and I believe if adjusted properly, the screws of a twin screw shouldnt ever be touching even though they are in close proximity. secondly, I never thought of a centri which required spool time (and is belt driven so its not like a turbo) to build its maximum boost level and suffers from boost drop off as being more efficent...but different ways of looking at it I guess :bee:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the difference between a roots and a twin screw is both design of the rotors and the sealing of the rotors to the case.

A centrifugal blower doesn't require spool time, it requires blower rpm, just like a twin screw. The gearing and size of the twin screws is what gives you the instant boost. But it also creates boost that flatlines and tends to drop a bit towards redline.

centrifugals do not suffer from boost drop unless there is belt slip, which is an issue with all blowers.

compressor efficiency is typically judged by power and heat per psi of boost. At the same boost level, the centri will make more power and expel less heat.

Users who are viewing this thread