should i go t-56 or a tko

icurry4990

Established Member
ive got an 89 notchback and i just purchased a d1 supercharger...knowing that i would grenade my world class t5, what should i go for a t-56 6 speed or a tko500 or tko600.....are there any guys on here with 6 speed fox body's and if so do you like it....i really wanted a 6 speed but since the overdrive gears are so similar between the t-56 and the tko's that im not really sure what i want anymore

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
TKO500-600's dont like to be powershifted. You will get locked out of gear a lot. I know a buddy that went with one, messed with it for over a year, had it face plated, etc, never could get it to work right. Switched to a T56, has not had a problem since. Go with the T56 or have the T5 built. I believe you can get the T5 built to handle 400+lbft torque from D&D. Im sure you can find out with a little searching around. Also you can switch to a 3650 or T45, they are a bit stronger and if your only looking at making in the ball park of 400whp one of those should handle the power pretty well.

icurry4990

Established Member
Im looking at making about 500 to the wheels...306 gt40 heads (worked) cobra intake trick flow cam bigger injectors throttle body maf sensor, ac and power steering delete
And i think thats it lol

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i got a tko500 in mine and i love it. ive got no problems powershifting it, but i dont turn mine past 6k either

wheelhopper

Established Member
I run road courses and hear of newbs talking about installing the T56. In my opinion it is a waste. They add weight and really provide no added benefit, since nobody needs an overdrive on the track.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Im looking at making about 500 to the wheels...306 gt40 heads (worked) cobra intake trick flow cam bigger injectors throttle body maf sensor, ac and power steering delete
And i think thats it lol

Better step up to a 351 then because you'll be adding windows to your stock block with 500whp on the factory rods. You also run the risk of cracking the block at the main caps. The 351 block will handle well over 500whp with no problems. Something to consider.

snake187

Established Member
I have a tremec 3550 (which i believe is the orig.tko) in my 91 ssp fox and love it,never had any trouble getting locked out of any gears in high rpm like i did with my 500 at all and it doesn't whine like my tko 500 did in my cobra either,also my 3550 was daily driven in my car with 486 to the wheels via a V-2 with the previous owner for 33k and still going strong,,hopefully it will hold anything i plan on throwing at it

Last edited:

jfsram

Established Member
I've heard so many stories about poor shifting 500 and 600. They are both off my wish list. Anyone who differs, pls show vid of power shifting.

One advantage of the T56 is the close ratio gears. Makes for some quick shifting since the synchros have less speed matching to do.

You will also need a deeper rear gear for drag racing. The 2.6 ratio first is a tall gear for a 302. Or a bigger engine.

Yes it's a big giant bulky trans with a super long legged overdrive.

It's a second best option to what I'm hoping somebody will make one day. That's a trans that shifts like a T56 but compact like a TKO500.

Users who are viewing this thread