Should i get a 96-98 or 99-01 cobra???

Red4.6Mod

I currently own a 2000 GT and im considering a Cobra the question is which one? I love the new body style even more then the 94-98 but they have the live axle and cost less which ill be able too mod faster. The 99-01 cobra is slightly more powerful and looks better but has the irs rear which im not crazy about. My GT ran a [email protected] and only has a few bolts ons. But i want the 4v and i live 3 miles from Amazon Racing, Awsome. What do you think i should do.:shrug:

Cobra4pt6

Banned
i say go for the 99-01 svt cobra......just swap out the irs for a live axle..... or just go for the mach 1, it has a cobra motor with a live axle.

Red4.6Mod

I almost bought a new Mach1 and am still debating that as well but feel that its a little bit out of my price range. I feel that an older cobra may be a better choice even tho i dont now if theve been raged on. I test drove the Mach and was quite impressed :-D but am still unsure in my descsion:shrug:

Red4.6Mod

I wanna make it a 12 second machine but i feel that im running out of ideas unless i start too really dump money into it and i go by the amazon shop pretty ofen and he tells me how the new 2vs nice but the 4vs great and i can't agree more and i can aford a slightly nicer mustang. My mods on the Gt are cai,mrch pulleys,Diablo chip from amazon,bassani x-pipe,flowmaster 2 chambers,b+m ripper shifter and 275 wide nitto drags 555r.:)

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
I upgraded from a 97 Cobra to the 99 Cobra. Personally I liked the 97 Cobra better. I really didn't gain much IMO with the 99. I thought the 97 was more comfortable. I also liked the more aggressive hood. I put 4.10's, BM ripper Shifter, cut out the screen on the MAF and installed a BBK O/R H pipe (Sounded awesome) with the stock cat back. Ran low 13's all day long on street tires. I now have a 03 but I still look back on my 97 and how much I liked it.

Good luck!

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
my friend has a 98 and he loves it. It is just alot slower than mine. He had 4.10s and a dual 62mm tb and I was stock and I could romp on him all day.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
Originally posted by trplblacksnake
my friend has a 98 and he loves it. It is just alot slower than mine. He had 4.10s and a dual 62mm tb and I was stock and I could romp on him all day.

could your friend drive? I dont believe a 98 with 4:10's would get romped on with a stock 2001, or maybe that throttle body hurt his car more than it did help, not a worth while mod on a stock motor

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by trplblacksnake

Your friend can't drive....Your car only has a realistic 15 to 20 horses on his(if it's stock like you say)...And he has 4:10's.....:nono:

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
I love my 96 Cobra. I had the same decision on my hands, and went with the 96. It really just depends on how much you want to spend, since you like the newer body style more.

CobraClan

Established Member
96-98 for sure. The 99 motor is nice, but IRS and RFS {returnless fuel system}, if you want to make big power, then you have to change both. I do prefer the '99-up body lines though......

J

love bandit2

Established Member
I love my 98, but every time I ride in a 99+ mustang I can't help but notice how much nicer the interior is. Its basically the same thing, but it just doens't seem as cheap. I think the fit and finish of the 99+ cars is overall much better. However, my car will usually smoke 99 and 2001 IRS cobras.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraClan
96-98 for sure. The 99 motor is nice, but IRS and RFS {returnless fuel system}, if you want to make big power, then you have to change both. I do prefer the '99-up body lines though......

J

not necessarily.

My RFS setup is comfortably supporting 510RWHP. thats approx. 640 crank horsepower. I've got a walbro 255LPH pump, and 42# injectors. If you want to support MAJOR power with the RFS, go with the 03 cobra tank/pump. That setup, combined with the proper injectors and tune will safely support 700+ WHP. Although, if you're not comfortable with that, Aeromotive has lots and lots of things specially designed for the returnless system to support more horsepower than you can imagine.

And about the IRS. It's not as bad as it's cracked up to be. I havent had a single problem with mine... ive even launched it on DR's without a hitch. just dont beat the heck out of it. Get aftermarket halfshafts, or 03 halfshafts, an 03 IRS brace, polyurethane bushings, etc... and you should be good to go!!

Oh, yea... there are a couple 03 cobras with IRS running in the 9's now.

CobraClan

Established Member
To each his own. I know the '03 pump and module upgrade can support decent horsepower levels, but haven't you noticed that a lot of people have taken the returnless off and ditched the IRS for a solid axle? Why's that? Because the return style can support twice the horsepower, the solid axle can handle twice the power. If you are only looking for 500rwhp, then the returnless is fine. But, if you have a '99 cobra and want to drag it (like at FFW races, etc.), the IRS won't hold up. The return style fuel system is also easier to tune around, and can support tons of horsepower if done properly. Don't get me wrong, you DO have good points. It all comes down to what you want the car for. If you want to buy the car with invisioning 1/4 mile sprints, go 96-98. If you want it for street power w/ occasional strip, then the '99-up arent' that bad. :beer:

J

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
Not flaming in any way but most people dont buy a 99+ cobra to just drag race in. If you want a good drag car go buy a fox. Those are cheap easily modded. You can also drop a mod motor in them very easy. But once again to each his or her own. In my opinion if you are going to drag buy a 96-98 and maybe do an intake swap. But I will say my best friend has a 98 cobra with 4.10s, an offroad X pipe, 87mm MAF, and 62mm tb and I could run him back when I had just my offroad X pipe.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I was wanting a 96-98 when I was on my cobra hunt, and still do. But I couldn't resist the deal on my 99. I wish I woulda waited and got a 96-98, but I am very happy with this one. There are alot of people going fast with the IRS, but you can't be just plain mean to it like you can the 8.8. The sn-95's have dropped drasticly in price from what I have seen, and that is what I would get if I could get into a decent low miled one.

Users who are viewing this thread