Should I dodge the 10% Ethanol gas?

noahdr

Established Member
I'm seein more and more gas stations around here posting signs on the pumps that say the gas may contain as much as 10% Ethanol. I'm pretty sure that will decrease the advertised octane reading correct?...So 93 will not really be 93 or am I missing something. Would ya'll trust that sorta gas/ethanol mix in your truck??

ecoastkid

Established Member
ethenol has a higher octane...but if its all mixed for 93...93 is what you should get out of the pump.

I avoid it because my gas mileage sufferes noticably when I use it. On the other hand, I always put it in (its sunoco around here) when I race, or get on a dyno...I'm sure im just nuts, but I trust sunoco gas, and I figure since ethenol is higher octane, It seems that since its mixed in im more likely to get it..lol (I know...that makes no sense but it makes me feel better..lol)

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Yep, ethanol has a higher octane rating, but it should still be whatever is advertised at the pump. It won't hurt you to run it, but you might see a small drop in mileage. I pretty much don't have any choice but to run it because that's all that's availabe around here.

03blklightning

INTERCEPTOR
Established Member
Yep, ethanol has a higher octane rating, but it should still be whatever is advertised at the pump. It won't hurt you to run it, but you might see a small drop in mileage. I pretty much don't have any choice but to run it because that's all that's availabe around here.
Yeah we are in the same boat. That is all that is offered around here. So no choice but to put it in. Haven't had any problems as of yet.

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
On the other hand, I always put it in (its sunoco around here) when I race, or get on a dyno...

Shouldn't you notice a drop in performance???

I don't know if it increases your octane rating but ethanol, which is actually a form of alcohol, runs cooler than gasoline.

Your engine will thus be less prone to detonation but...

it also produces less energy per volume than gasoline so you must burn more of it to produce the same power.

Don't quote me on all this, as I am just thinking off the top of my head but it all seems ass backwards to me.

You end up paying the same but get less.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Ethanol is more efficient at higher compression so you'll get a bit better millage while in boost then plain gas. Some state (I believe California) decided touline (which was used to boost octane before) caused cancer so they banned it, and now refineries nearly everywhere are using ethanol as a octane booster instead.
No ill effects except a drop in mileage, just be happy you still have at least 93, we haven't had it here in Wichita for years :(

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Running it for 2 years here, no problems at all. If it says 93 on the pump thats what your getting, just cause it has ethanol doesnt mean it is less than advertised

ecoastkid

Established Member
Shouldn't you notice a drop in performance???

I don't know if it increases your octane rating but ethanol, which is actually a form of alcohol, runs cooler than gasoline.

Your engine will thus be less prone to detonation but...

it also produces less energy per volume than gasoline so you must burn more of it to produce the same power.

Don't quote me on all this, as I am just thinking off the top of my head but it all seems ass backwards to me.

You end up paying the same but get less.

Like I said...its probably pretty stupid, but I feel that it could have tiny bit of potential to be safer...and a few hp isnt worth the safty factor to me.

Technically, you will make the most power with the lowest octane you can run with out det...doesnt mean I'm gonna go try 89 to see if I can get a few extra hp...lol

Users who are viewing this thread