Should I do 3.73s before Texas Mile?

fastlif

Established Member
Wondering if the stock 3.31 would be better for the mile? Car is a kenne bell 2.8. Not looking to break a record but would like to get the best # possible.

Thanks for any input!

Red10thcv

Established Member
It's called the Texas MILE not quarter mile keep the stock gear in for more MPH.:burnout:Get in, Push the gas pedal all the way down, and Hold on!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I would think the stockers are better suited for the tejas mile. Sgt D may have some good feedback if he isnt to bust on the Aston Martin forums.

1930ford

Established Member
Tire size, HP, max eng rpm you want to run would be needed to calculate the best gear. If you are still running the stock 6spd you should have enough rpm with the 3.73 to run 185ish. The 3.73 will help the car pull better in the higer gears.

Van@RevanRacing

Great question. I've been to the last 3 Texas Mile events.

In October of last year we had three GT500's running. Two of which were Super Snakes.

One Super Snake put in 3.31 gears and taller tires.

One Super Snake stayed with the 3.73 gears and taller tires.

Both Super Snakes had Kenne Bell 2.8 H Super Chargers and IW 10% Lower.

Both cars were taching up to 6,750 and pulling the shift.

Both cars eventually ran equal speeds, 192.XXX MPH

We tried multiple launch techniques and tires with both cars.

One of the 190+ MPH runs was actually done with the 3.73 geared car and a second gear start a smooth depress of the throttle.

We used a 29 inch tall tire on 3.31's and 3.73's and both cars hit the same MPH on the same rear tire.

It's really about the tire height and getting out of the hole smooth and reducing wheel spin and getting into the power band and letting the supercharger eat.

If you run over 190 MPH and do not have a 190+ certification (which requires a minimum 4 point roll bar, fire suit, 4 point belts, etc.) you will be fined and then the event is over.

Hope some of this helps. See you in October!!

Last edited:

BigDan

Established Member
^ Great write up. So it sounds like both car's hit their speed barrier based on on same speed but with different gears. It seems like the now the only way to gain MPH is to add HP. Maybe once you reach a certain speed 180-210's it's becomes more about HP the gearing advantages because its not how quickly you can get to the finish line but what your max speed is.

Last edited:

fastlif

Established Member
Thank you for the info Van. I think I will leave the 3.31. I hate to chance having gear whine. I hope to break 180 but it will not break my heart if I don't.

Is there any reason I shouldn't run drag radials? Nitto nt05rs?

Van@RevanRacing

^ Great write up. So it sounds like both car's hit their speed barrier based on on same speed but with different gears. It seems like the now the only way to gain MPH is to add HP. Maybe once you reach a certain speed 180-210's it's becomes more about HP the gearing advantages because its not how quickly you can get to the finish line but what your max speed is.

There are numerous factors to consider. The GT500 basically hits an aero wall at 150 MPH. It's all about the power and putting it to the ground after that.

Thank you for the info Van. I think I will leave the 3.31. I hate to chance having gear whine. I hope to break 180 but it will not break my heart if I don't.

Is there any reason I shouldn't run drag radials? Nitto nt05rs?

Stock Super Snake with a Kenne Bell 2.8 and stock crank with drag radials went 185. Question for you. What tune are you running? If you have the Kenne Bell Tune you might have to contact Kenne Bell to have the speed limiter raised as the Kenne Bell EO Certified Tune has factory speed limiting enabled. If it is not a Kenne Bell tune then just double check with your tuner as to the speed limiting.

Drag Radials can work but look at the speed rating. Also consider that a drag radial is really designed for the quarter mile and not a mile. What many guys run are Hoosier R6/A6 Road Race Tires because of the speed rating. It's an old runway and not a prepared drag strip. We've run all sorts of combinations and taller road race tires seem to be the best route for speed and safety.

Another thing.................

A lot of guys use painters tape to tape their cars up for the purpose of reducing aero drag and/or rock chips. I use and sell Heli Tape. It's made by 3M and it is what they use in NASCAR and INDY Car during qualifying and during races. Sometimes you'll hear people during a race on TV say that they placed or removed a row of tape to cool or warm a car up and for drag reduction. The greatest thing about the Heli Tape is that it is very sticky and stays on but removes very easily and leaves zero residue on the paint or plastic. It's actually used to repair helicopter blades. The other nice thing about the Heli Tape. It's clear. Nothing worse than seeing a car run down the mile that's Red covered in blue painters tape! :lol:

Van

Last edited:

fastlif

Established Member
Van,

I have the Evo/John Lund mail order tune now with a 3" pulley. I will have the car Dyno'd and tuned at XXX in Pensacola soon, and I have a 2 7/8 pulley to try with some octane. I also have an off road x pipe. I believe the speed limiter is gone but I will make sure.

I would like some of this tape you speak of. Will you have some available and will there be time once we arrive at the track? How much $? And what all do you tape up?

Thank you for all the info and I look forward to meeting you!
Shawn

Van@RevanRacing

Van,

I have the Evo/John Lund mail order tune now with a 3" pulley. I will have the car Dyno'd and tuned at XXX in Pensacola soon, and I have a 2 7/8 pulley to try with some octane. I also have an off road x pipe. I believe the speed limiter is gone but I will make sure.

I would like some of this tape you speak of. Will you have some available and will there be time once we arrive at the track? How much $? And what all do you tape up?

Thank you for all the info and I look forward to meeting you!
Shawn

Shawn

I look forward to meeting you as well.

We went through a whole roll of 2" Heli Tape on a Ford GT in April and back in October we went through 2 - Rolls of 2" Heli Tape and 1 Roll of 4" Heli Tape on 3 GT500's. There is so many spots to tape. You'd be shocked.

I plan on bringing Heli Tape with me if I've got people that want to buy it. 2" Roll is $100 and 4" Roll is $190

I know it's expensive stuff!

Van

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Van, what kind of power were the Supersnakes making when they ran 192? I have been wondering what it takes to hit 200+ in this platform.

Van@RevanRacing

Van, what kind of power were the Supersnakes making when they ran 192? I have been wondering what it takes to hit 200+ in this platform.

We were pushing 775-800 between both cars to the wheel. This was on the stock motor and we were pushing the envelope.

We were running C-16 race gas and Jon Lund was there and we data logged nearly every run and tweaked the tunes as we went along.

Based on the combinations and the extensive history of Jon's dyno tuning we estimated the power to be in that range.

10% OD with 3.00" upper and long tubes with 93 octane and a can of Torco one of the cars made 753 rwhp. So with the C-16 and changing the stoich and timing in the tune we are fairly certain the horsepower levels above are fairly close.

That was also with a 15-20 knot head wind on all 3 days. The wind never let up.

With a tailwind we could have gotten 200.

Van

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread