Should I change my oil (Amsoil Synth) after 1 year and less than 2000 miles?

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Last year I changed my oil after my TVS install, and threw in some fancy synthetic Amsoil Dominator 10w-30. I only put around 2,000 miles on my car in the past year as tires get expensive. Should I change the oil this year to be safe, or is it less of a concern with a true synthetic like this? Does time/moisture still become a concern in this case?

I was planning on changing it anyways, but if I don't need to I don't want to waste the money.

SCCA SM

Established Member
Do it anyway. even the synthetic oils really only last a year. it still lubricates, just not like fresh oil does.

nate714

Established Member
Took me almost 10 months to hit the first 6000 miles on my car before doing the first oil change, and immediately after the oil change I picked up the coyote BBQ/typewriter tick (which from what I understand is random in these cars at first or second oil change). I have a feeling if I'd done the first oil change sooner I might have not got the tick. Who knows. I'd do it at more frequent intervals than the ford suggests, since you have a blower and fuel mods.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
Do it anyway. even the synthetic oils really only last a year. it still lubricates, just not like fresh oil does.

Wat??

Only lasts a year? I'm lost on that one.....

Water/condensation might be a concern depending on your climate/storage conditions.

Pull a small sample and send it to Blackstone (or one of the oil analysis labs), they can tell you for sure if the oil is still good rather than dumping/wasting 8 qts of premium synthetic. But as someone in another thread said.... "it's your money"....

Last edited:

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Thanks, that can't hurt. It's been garaged the whole time though I didn't run the heater this year so temps have probably fluctuated quite a bit.

7upstang

Established Member
I believe it's more of a condensation problem. However, to me, $80 is cheap insurance for a motor making a ton of power.

SixPak

Established Member
I believe it's more of a condensation problem. However, to me, $80 is cheap insurance for a motor making a ton of power.

+1

The condensation issue combining with the byproducts of combustion can, and will, form an acidic environment in your oil. Synthetic oils keep these suspended and allow them to evaporate easier than the Dino oils, but time is the real enemy here.

slick3

Established Member
I am going to say NO You do not need to change it. Everyone can spout off what they want (me included) but the only way to REALLY know, is send it in for oil analysis. Its a wise thing to do regardless and I do it every oil change. Gives you a little insight into how good or bad your oil is working and if it really needs changed. Synthetic motor oil now days really is a phenomenal stuff, people change it far to often than needed. Pick up a kit from amsoils site they are like 10 bucks I think...

JDos1

Established Member
A kit is $28 plus shipping from Amsoil.

Post your UOA results in the official UOA thread. I'm about the only person who posts on it. Troy hasn't updated the spreadsheet in quite some while.

dabster

Established Member
I've put more then 2k on my tvs car in less then 2 months lol, get that thing out and enjoy it!! That's what it's for!

Users who are viewing this thread