Should I buy this one?

svtmesoon

Established Member
I am looking for an 01 but... I found a 99 rio red Cobra with 2700 miles, frame cons. 5.0 shifter, bullet pedals, Flowmasters, x pipe, the "fix" from Ford(which he said made a big performance gain). This guy is 54 yrs old, and owner #1, and was driven on sunny weekends only. He said that there is not even 1 tiny scratch, showroom condition. He wants $21950, I got him down to $21000 in 1 conversation. He is going to an Audi Quattro. (is this guy nuts?) What do you guys think? I think it's a tad steep, but with the mods...maybe that's fair. Please give me some advice.
Thanks, Ric

CobraF/I

Established Member
Hmm, I bought my 99 Cobra used a while back for $25K. It sounds ok, especially if he is itching for that Audi, you might be able to get him down a little farther. Sounds nice, but the most fun I've had with my Cobra was looking at all the different mods I could/will do. So... do you want the X-pipe? Do you want the Flowmasters (which aren't stainless so keep it nice)? It's up to you. If you can afford it, I say go for it! If you have a lot of money and if there is still time, maybe an 03 Cobra or a Mach 1 (I'm sorry, but those Mach 1's are really nice, even if they aren't a Cobra). My bottom line, you want it? You got to have it? Get it.

:chicken:

PS: Did he dyno his 99? What is it rated at?

svtmesoon

Established Member
Thanks Cobra F/I, I have the $$ for the 99, but I really like the Performance Red, seats, and rear spoiler/bumper cover on the 01's. Prolly by the time I mod the 99 with the 01 cosmetics ( thats IF I can find some seats) It would be cheaper to get the 01. But that dang ping kinda scares me away from the 01. Some of the guys(on the Cobra boards) say that the ping is incureable. Plus an 01 is a good $6-7G's more. I'm gonna go look at the 99 tonight. I'll let you guys know what's up with it.
Later date, Ric
P.S. I don't know about the dyno, I'll ask him tonight.

Last edited:

CobraF/I

Established Member
I haven't really been talking to a lot of Cobra owners of late, so I'm not sure what the ping is. If you have time to explain I would appreciate it. Haha, if not, no problem, I'll find out later.;-) I completely agree with you about the cosmetics, especially the seats. They are kind of uncomfortable. I had driven an older model GT and it had great seats, these, unfortunately, pale in comparison. The 01+ Cobra seats (and I assume the 00 R seats) are very nice! I would LOVE to get those in my 99!

;-) If you get this car, you'll have to change your name to Formerlysvtmesoon or something, lol. Good luck!!!!

svtmesoon

Established Member
Hey F/I, go to search and type cobrs ping and you can read all about it.
Ric::read:

SVT4POP

Established Member
Hey SVTMESOON, ...

Are you sure that Cobra has only 2700 miles or did you mean 27,000? If it only has 2700 and has had the fix, that's essentially a brand new car.

In February I found my black '99 Cobra Coupe on a local dealers lot. It had 35,000 miles on it and they wanted $19,999 for it. After I negotiated the wife's approval, I hammered them down to $17,999.

I'm not sure why you'd want to pay more for the 01 when (if the red one really has that low of miles) when the performance capability is essentially identical. For the difference in price you could afford some meaningful bolt-ons or boost that would have you way beyond the 01 as a naturally aspirated vehicle.

If it were me, I'd run a carfax on the vehicle (get the VIN#) and spend about $12.00 to have a check run on the car. You should be able to get verification of the "fix" and where it was performed and any other unobvious quirks that were taken care of under the warranty provisions. You could also take the car to your nearest dyno shop if there's one in your area. If the car doesn't yeild at least 274 rear wheel horsepower (which is about 320 horsepower at the flywheel) I'd be very inquisitive about asking for the documentation that the "fix" was done by the current owner, ... you should ask for some sort of proof IMHO.

Either way, you've got a fun-filled (and a few occasional episodes of exasparation) future ahead. I'd go for the '99 in a heartbeat if the miles are as low as your thread indicates.

Last edited:

svtmesoon

Established Member
Hello all, I went to see the Cobra tuesday night. It has 2665 miles,thats right just under 27 HUNDRED miles! I saw the docs that the fix had been done. We have only one SVT dealer here in Omaha, and that's where it was done. You are right, the car is essentially brand new. the car is absolutley flawless, not a surface scratch, not a loop of pile out of place in the carpet, I mean PERFECT. He also forgot to tell me that it had eibach springs (1 1/4" lower). He took me for a ride, and it has the ponies(320), I know. Here we go, where most of you will prolly think that I'm being petty. First, the Rio Red, it's just too Red for me, my heart belongs to Performance Red. The seats,spoiler, and Mustang bumper cover(in lieu of Cobra), and did I mention the color. All of these things can be had on an 01, but the "ping" may also be included. Man, this is tearing me up. I know that I will never find this kind of car again, it's a pipe dream car. This guy is 54 and he has never beat it, he opens it up now & then, but thats not beating it. I have decided to get it, then not get it about 10 times now. My heart tells me to hold out for an 01, I can get EXACTLY what I want in an 01. I just don't want to get this car, then along comes the 01 of my dreams. Ohh, how my heart aches.
Ric:shrug: :cryying: :shrug: :cryying: :shrug: Ohyeah, I did carfax it, it came back clean. This guy is just super rich and has lots of toys = the low miles

Last edited:

CobraF/I

Established Member
Well, if it were me and any other 'normal' persone (j/k;-) ), I would jump on that like it were Saundra Bollock (sp?). Haha, but you know what? If you don't think you'll be happy, nine times out of ten, yup, you won't be. The way life goes man, as soon as you get this, YOU WILL SEE THE 01 OF YOUR DREAMS. You'll ask yourself, man, why didn't I wait. On the other hand, you could get it and use it as a trade, that way if you do love it, and you don't care about that 01 you want anymore, you are covered. But, if you don't want it, and can/will get the 01, then maybe it's best to let some one else get it, who'll love it for what it is.

C_Record

Established Member
>>First, the Rio Red, it's just too Red for me<<

That statement above pretty much says it all. Once you buy it, you have to live with it(and you're certainly not going to get the car painted, at least I hope not). A person doesn't usually learn to like an undesireable color. To some people(like myself), color is just too important(I don't care how nice it is, if it isn't black, I don't want it).

You originally had your sights set on a particular car. Even after seeing the perfect '99, you still can't make up your mind(hint). It may be perfect, but it's still not the color, year, seats, etc. that you want. It's pretty obvious to me that you'd rather have the '01. Turning down something that you weren't looking for in the first place doesn't constitute being petty. After all, it's a decent chunk of $change$ you're putting out.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SVT4POP

Established Member
svtmesoon, ...

Hey already, stop, you're breaking my heart. Seriously, if you don't like the color and some of the exterior walk away from it. A Cobra owner should, I believe, fall in love with his car all over again every time he sees it, not be reminded of something else that he'd rather have.

The situation over which you're agonizing with the 01's isn't irreparable and the extra amount of cash for the newer car will quickly be forgotten if, and that's the key, it's your dream vehicle.

No vehicle will ever be absolutely perfect or a "dream" all the time. Rather, it will become your "dream" car by the personal touches you put into it and the way you customize your own ride.

I'd say you've already made the decision (logically) you just need to understand that as sweet as this deal is, there is someone somewhere who is actually lusting for the color and kind of car that this Cobra is and for whom it will truly be a "dream" car.

Wave goodbye and don't look back, go get your dream car and let's see your posts as to what you're going to do to it. Life is too short to spend it agonizing over something you've essentially decided isn't what you want, ... and you can afford to get what you want. Let it go to someone who really wants it as bad as you want the '01.

svtmesoon

Established Member
Thanks SVT4POP, you speak words of great wisdom and understanding. I think that I could probably get past everything except the color. Don't grt me wrong, I love red (even rio), but on MY Cobra, I must insist on Performance Red. If I got the 99, everytime I stepped up to it, I just know that I would always be dissappointed that it wasn't Performance Red. So, is anybody looking for a perfect 99 Cobra in Omaha Nebraska? I feel much better now! Thanks everyone for your input.
Ric

Last edited:

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Only people on here that I know of that have that color are hamilton and brian. And I'm pretty sure brian is turning his into a track car. Maybe hammy will sell you his.:D If not,good luck finding performance red. MAYBE when the 03's come out,some folk with that color car will be trading theirs in. That's your best bet.

fangstang

Established Member
Originally posted by svtmesoon
Thanks SVT4POP, you speak words of great wisdom and understanding. I think that I could probably get past everything except the color. Don't grt me wrong, I love red (even rio), but on MY Cobra, I must insist on Performance Red. If I got the 99, everytime I stepped up to it, I just know that I would always be dissappointed that it wasn't Performance Red. So, is anybody looking for a perfect 99 Cobra in Omaha Nebraska? I feel much better now! Thanks everyone for your input.
Ric

Honestly, In my opinion, you should get the 99. If indeed those are actual miles(2,700,typo?) then that is a great deal on a great car, and its in one of the best colors for the cobra, rio red!. I remember the first time I saw the 99 cobra, and it was in rio red, let me tell you, It looked amazing, looked like it was going 100 mph parked! I personnaly think that rio red looks much better then performance red, just my opinion. I remember when I was looking for my current cobra last summer at the dealership i purchased and saw a white/ parchmant coupe just waiting there to be claimed, that was the last color combo I would have chosen, but guess what, after days and days of looking at it, I began to love that combo. Its one of the best and rarest out there amongst the 2001's, and I bought it on the spot! You see, its all a mater of preference, if you dont want it, dont get it, but for a great deal like this to pass you up because of a color, then my friend, dont bother getting a cobra at all, I'm sure you can find a nice performance red mustang GT(Generic Transportation).:punch:

svtmesoon

Established Member
Sorry pal, but I disagree(and so does Ford, see the 00 R) about which red is the hottest color. But it is just an opinion. Ric

fangstang

Established Member
Exactly, OPINION! I wouldnt go as far as saying its the hottest. Edin

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by Fangstang:
but for a great deal like this to pass you up because of a color, then my friend, dont bother getting a cobra at all

I'm sure you wouldn't buy a car if it was the right color and interior though it had a V-6 and you wanted a V-8. To some of us, color is equally important:)

svtmesoon

Established Member
Thanks rcogs, hey fang, I got a laser red GT now and hate the color. I thought that I would learn to like it, but no. I learn from my mistakes, especially expensive ones! I'm not saying that buying my stang was a mistake, buying a the wrong color stang was. It won't happen again.
Ric

fangstang

Established Member
Guys, you're taking this to seriously. I am only stating my opinion on the color, I'm not flaming anyone. I said that I prefer Rio to Performance. Dont get me wrong, I would take a performance red cobra in a heart beat, but If Ford offered Rio in 2001, then I would choose Rio over Performance. Peace

svtmesoon

Established Member
Hey fang, I read your post on shooting fireballs. Man did I laugh, 'specially about your buddy shittin & looking. That, by far, is the most entertaining post I have ever read, keep them coming. I used to blast huge(I was told) fireballs from under my Road Runner, back in the good old days when you could occasionally run open headers for a night of crazyness.
So what we don't agree on reds, I like ya anyway.:xpl: :coolman: svtmesoon

Electric Snake

Established Member
Hey SVTmeSoon - did you get the SVT yet? I've been browsing looking for advice on new tires :( I bought a 99 E.Green Snake last Sep. w/10000 miles, pd $23,500, as an FYI. BTW, E.Green is more rare than PR, rarely see the color either for sale or on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread