Should I buy this Cobra?

diablo0730

Established Member
OK as title says I'm looking at a Cobra I found. Its a 99 black on black 112xxx miles on the body. Engine bottom is literally brand new 0 miles on it. Has the aluminum block bored .030 over with mmr 900 forged bottom end, pistons, rods, and rings. Crank is the factory forged crank that was polished. It has 8.5:1 compression ratio. a Built t56 6spd with about 10k miles. Has pacesetter longtube headers, off road x pipe with cutouts, flowmaster super 44s. 4.10 gears with ford racing trak lok diff. Has 03/04 cobra bumper. Stock heads and cams. But the car doesn't idle sometimes. It idled fine when I looked at it but sounded like a knock or piston slap was there. We didn't let car run but like 5 mins. It will not go over 40mph for some reason and needs a few min or touches to the paint but body looks great. I am getting the car for $3800 as it sets and getting a vortech v3 supercharger kit minus injectors that has 500miles with it for an additional $2000. Engine was built in Denver, CO buy a guy that does a lot of mustangs can't remember his name I want to say Ron. So want to get a bit it now or pass it up if you guys can help me deside. I know it needs a new tune on it and maybe a new IAC. That's all I can think that may cause the issue with idle not sure on why it won't go over 40mph or the knocking sound.

starnsey

Established Member
Just my opinion based on my own experience - don't buy someone else's project if you're looking for a car that you want to drive as opposed to spend multiple years working on. I've learned that lesson on my current Mach 1. Then again, what you're paying is 1/4 of the cost of what I paid so it may be worth it to you. Just know you may think it's just an IAC and tune when in reality it may end up costing you another $5k before the thing runs right again. After over two years, I'm still trying to determine why my Mach stalls when coming to a stop sometimes.

Just a thought.

diablo0730

Established Member
Its possible just seeing if it would be worth it lol. Money isn't gonna bother me that much. Its only $3800 for the car with reciepts of the work done. But I'm also going to look at 2011 5.0 also bone stock for 22k. And a Boss 302 for 35k. Just trying to get an idea for a potential flip and profit of a couple thousand. But right not it stands as a No and a maybe lol. Keep the input coming I'm not gonna get butthurt.

Users who are viewing this thread