should i build up my IRS or swap for a solid axle?

dtonesfan

Established Member
Hey guys enjoying your weekend. I need some advise, i got a 99 cobra stock IRS besides gears and want to know if i should just beef up the IRS with some DSS half shafts, 03 diff, IRS brace and replace all the bushings cause mine are all bad. Or should i swap for a solid axle because i dont road race or drive it daily i just drag race. If i do swap does any one know where i can get all the components needed to swap it out. I really want to keep it a IRS cause thats what makes it a cobra but if its gonna hold be back at the track then i guess its got to go. Please give me some solid imput on this and whats best for the strip. thanks

Last edited:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
im pretty sure its just a straight forward replacement swap..find someone with a solid and you have all the stuff you need

Solo500

Established Member
For drag racing a solid axle is superior but for real racing and street driving the IRS wins hands down. I have an IRS and beat Mach 1's and s197 GT's all the time. More power + a good driver will make a bigger difference than a solid axle alone. A solid axle just allows you to launch easier and hook up better MOST of the time. I've seen solid axle cars hop at the track. If you can launch good and want an all around performing suspension, I would beef it up and keep it. Like its been said many many times an IRS is what's in every real sports car. I had an 05 Mustang and was embarrased every time I had girls in the car just because of the monster truck handling. The IRS is one of the things that sold me on this car and I'm glad I kept it because I no longer have any hop. Results may vary.

Last edited:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
For drag racing a solid axle is superior but for real racing and street driving the IRS wins hands down. I have an IRS and beat Mach 1's and s197 GT's all the time. More power + a good driver will make a bigger difference than a solid axle alone. A solid axle just allows you to launch easier and hook up better MOST of the time. I've seen solid axle cars hop at the track. If you can launch good and want an all around performing suspension, I would beef it up and keep it. Like its been said many many times an IRS is what's in every real sports car. I had an 05 Mustang and was embarrased every time I had girls in the car just because of the monster truck handling. The IRS is one of the things that sold me on this car and I'm glad I kept it because I no longer have any hop. Results may vary.

lol at drag racing not being "real racing"

Solo500

Established Member
No need to feel offended... we're all here because we like these cars. It is what it is. A drag strip track and a RACE track are totally different things.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I have a brand new one with 31 spline internals for sale

[ame=http://www.lamustangclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45]*BRAND NEW* BUILT 8.8 rear axle assembly with 31 spline internals - Lost Angels Mustang Club[/ame]

:)

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Do some research on the late 1800's and early 1900's and see how racing originated. To me drag racing is just a hobby.
well that may be, but here in the time period i live in drag racing is in fact racing. there's a ton of different classes, various events showcasing it, and some people make big bucks doing it.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
well that may be, but here in the time period i live in drag racing is in fact racing. there's a ton of different classes, various events showcasing it, and some people make big bucks doing it.

bro i dont know if you read what he wrote but i think its time you do some research on what REAL racing is...:pop:

Solo500

Established Member
I don't pride myself on foolish arguments and everyone has their own opinions. I'm not saying it isn't real... it just isn't racing in its true form.
The two main reasons are that the race is in a straight line and lasts no more than 15 seconds.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member

maybe you need to do some :read: The Griggs racing GR40 cobra with a solid axle rapes just about every IRS stang out there including other makes. Secondly, you talk like you know "every real sports car has one" Yes every real sports car has a REAL IRS, the IRS in the cobra is subpar compared to lets say a Porsche or a BMW IRS

Last edited:

2001cobraguy

Established Member
sra swap....im in the middle of putting together all the stuff i need to do it and itll be cheaper i think in the long run to just build a solid axle. those half shafts are freakin pricey!!!
8.8" housing
differential and cover
gear and install kit
axles and bearings
caliper brackets(i found a kit on ebay for 175 bucks, comes with new rotors/brackets/dust shields and something else??)
driveshaft
exhaust
control arms
springs
shocks
abs stuff if you choose to keep it
i am finding a lot of this stuff on ebay for really cheap and saving a lot of money. i think that is the majority of the stuff you need not sure if im missing anything. guess ill find out when i go to put it in the car.......

Users who are viewing this thread