Should I add an Adj Clutch Cable/Firewall Adj/Quadrant

1998Venom

Established Member
I'm waiting for my 2001 Cobra Clutch to arrive, and was curious whether I should also consider an adjustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant?

Thanks again.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
stick with the stock cable, unless its bad. If it is bad, get an OEM replacement (don't get an aftermarket one they are junk)

A quadrant would also be a nice investment. THe plastic stock piece is sometimes known to go bad. Many people also put on the firewall adjuster when they do the quadrant.

I've never had one on my car and have never driven one with one...so i can't tell you if its worth the money.

snakevenum96

Got Boost?
Established Member
My friend had a 635 rwhp cobra and never used a quadrant, adjustable cable, or firewall adjuster and he never had any problems with the stock ones.

He used a Spec III clutch with the Pro 50 shifter and loved them both.

I was going to purchase the kit from Steeda for $100 but after talking with him I have decided to spend my money elsewhere.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The stock nylon stuff is JUNK. It does stretch in time. If you do NEED to replace it, put higher quality items in there. I went with the Steeda kit, but there are a few others that have good quality also.

SVT1996Cobra

Established Member
i ordered a king cobra clutch, extreme firewall adjuster, HD adjustable cable, and triple hook quadrant from UPR and it came to $298 with S&H (and sales tax since i live in FL) Just waiting to get them installed, and thats only costing $200. Should make a huge improvement over stock IMO.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i have all three and love being able to adjust it to where i like it. if your fine with the clutch the way it is dont change it, if not go ahead and buy the stuf so you can adjust it to your driving style.

1998Venom

Established Member
In conclusion - I should replace the clutch cable as a precautionary measure, with a possible upgrade from stock? :??:

My preference is to replace prior to failure - I would much rather minimize my car's time in the shop. :)

DarickPSU

Mick in a Mystic
Established Member
Then replace, because the stock will eventually go bad. I recently put on a MacLeod Kevlar and now I realize my crap quad is broke. I am replacing with a Motorsport cable and UPR Quad and Firewall adj.
D.

1998Venom

Established Member
Thanks. :)

Other than UPR, and the previously mentioned Steeda, who else manufactures/distributes these replacement parts. Or in other words, although your answer may be subjective, what is the best replacement available?:shrug:

txSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by 1998Venom
Thanks. :)

Other than UPR, and the previously mentioned Steeda, who else manufactures/distributes these replacement parts. Or in other words, although your answer may be subjective, what is the best replacement available?:shrug:

I believe Maximum Motorsports offers the best clutch quadrant. I have also added and bought from them their firewall adjuster and clutch pedal height adjuster. These parts all work with the stock clutch cable. Took an afternoon to install it all myself and the reward is smoother clutch engagement. Highly recommend ordering from them. their website www.maximummotorsports.com also offers install directions that are a great help.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I have a Hayes Adjustable Cable and Firewall Adjuster along with a SPEC stage 2 works real good for me..

1998Venom

Established Member
I spoke with DaSilva Racing (they'll be installing the clutch, Pro 5.0, and gears), and confirmed that I should stick with OEM. As such, I've ordered a stock cable.

Thanks for your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread