Shotguns

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I'm looking into a home defense shotgun for my house. Nothing crazy but it needs to be 20" or under. I've been looking at the remington 870 tacticals or a winchester 1300 but I'm not too certain on either. I can get the remington in OD green with a 20" barrel and pistol grip stock for $380. I'll be adding a surefire light, heatshield, and some form of shell holder. Anyone have some suggestions?
REM6471lg.jpg

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Remington 870s are SOOOOO nice.

Just be sure to actually get that pistol grip. I went shooting slugs in a 20 guage 870 the other day and punched myself in the nose twice with my thumb...

texaswrx

Established Member
For a little less, that Mossberg 500a is a great deal as well. Mine is one tough workhorse. You can't go wrong with the 870 either.

texaswrx

Established Member
For a little less, that Mossberg 500a is a great deal as well. Mine is one tough workhorse. You can't go wrong with the 870 either.

jshen

Established Member
Mossberg

I loved my Mossberg 500...as it had the safety on the top..rather than side and I could jack rounds into chamber with safety on.

My "to get" shotgun will be a Benelli "Entry" with Class 3 length barrel...just waiting for BATF approval.

Thegungal

Established Member
boostaholic said:
I'm looking into a home defense shotgun for my house. Nothing crazy but it needs to be 20" or under. I've been looking at the remington 870 tacticals or a winchester 1300 but I'm not too certain on either. I can get the remington in OD green with a 20" barrel and pistol grip stock for $380. I'll be adding a surefire light, heatshield, and some form of shell holder. Anyone have some suggestions?
REM6471lg.jpg

Since they are both quality firearms....The one you want it is the perfect firearm for you and the best choice you can make.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Oh oh oh! If you have some coin to spare and want to get a semi-unique shotgun, you can go with the Spas 12 with the folding stock:

spas_pair.jpg

Or you can go with the Saiga 12 for about 400 bucks!:

saiga_12g_modified.jpg

Both are 12 guages. The Spas can switch between semi auto and pump, and the Saiga is a semi. The Saigas go for about 4-500, with some dipping in the high 300s, while the Spas 12s can go for about 600 and up.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
boostaholic said:
http://personalsecurityzone.com/images/REM6471lg.jpg

Damn $380? I looked at one at a store near me an they were asking $700 for it. I hope to be buying one in the next two months.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
my 20ga mossberg has been flawless! owned it for a couple years now, great gun. wouldnt a pistol make a better home defense weapon though? easier to hide, quicker to draw.

Thegungal

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
my 20ga mossberg has been flawless! owned it for a couple years now, great gun. wouldnt a pistol make a better home defense weapon though? easier to hide, quicker to draw.

A pistol is most often not the right choice for anything. A pistol is a "because" weapon in most cases. (Because I have to be able to hide it, because I have nothing else, because it is my backup, because that is all I am allowed to carry, because it signifies rank or duty...and so on)

A pistol requires a fair amount of training and is not an easy weapon to become good with. Even though people argue all day about "Which pistol is more powerful or ...whatever, they are not very effective weapons and dont have a great track record. People say "how can you say that"...well, If you have to shoot someone, it is serious...you need them to stop whatever they are doing RIGHT NOW. A pistol will do that but not as well as a Rifle or a shotgun in most cases...and it is harder to use a pistol in the first place to get it done.

We dropped loads of little cheap pistols all over France durring WWII....They were to take them...shoot a Nazi that had a rifle...and then they would be armed when they have the rifle.

As the old saying goes, (in its many variations) It you have nothing but a pistol, it will be best used to fight your way to a rifle (or shotgun)

And one of the most important rules of a gun fight...shoot the guy with the shotgun first. At close range AMA statistics back it up (and I wish I could find a link) nothing is as lethal as a shotgun.

Last edited:

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
stanger133 said:
Damn $380? I looked at one at a store near me an they were asking $700 for it. I hope to be buying one in the next two months.
Go on www.impactguns.com and they're $400.00 shipped :beer: I usually keep my g23 with tactical light in my nightstand and my 26" mossberg 12ga "pheasant killa" is next to my bed but that big bastard wouldn't be very easy to use in tight locations. I think I'm gonna buy it tonight, its that or a new mattress but I think I can swing both.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Thegungal said:
A pistol is most often not the right choice for anything. A pistol is a "because" weapon in most cases. (Because I have to be able to hide it, because I have nothing else, because it is my backup, because that is all I am allowed to carry, because it signifies rank or duty...and so on)

A pistol requires a fair amount of training and is not an easy weapon to become good with. Even though people argue all day about "Which pistol is more powerful or ...whatever, they are not very effective weapons and dont have a great track record. People say "how can you say that"...well, If you have to shoot someone, it is serious...you need them to stop whatever they are doing RIGHT NOW. A pistol will do that but not as well as a Rifle or a shotgun in most cases...and it is harder to use a pistol in the first place to get it done.

We dropped loads of little cheap pistols all over France durring WWII....They were to take them...shoot a Nazi that had a rifle...and then they would be armed when they have the rifle.

As the old saying goes, (in its many variations) It you have nothing but a pistol, it will be best used to fight your way to a rifle (or shotgun)

And one of the most important rules of a gun fight...shoot the guy with the shotgun first. At close range AMA statistics back it up (and I wish I could find a link) nothing is as lethal as a shotgun.
wow, thanks for the good explanation! im learning more than just car stuff on this site, LOL.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
The Mossberg 590 and the Remington 870 are the most popular tactical shotguns on the market. You can't go wrong with either one.

Thrust

Established Member
Saiga12 all the way!!:rockon:
Here are acouple of quick pics of my Saiga 12 and Mossberg 500. I really like both, but I have a soft spot for the saiga since I converted it. It fuctions perfectly with the apg 10rnd mags, and gets alot of attention at the range.
Between the two, the saiga is better balanced, and handles a bit better. They run around $400 for the 12 guage version, and roughly less than $100 in parts to convert it yourself.
2005989368398185795_fs.jpg

2005923928220994874_fs.jpg

rd04svt

Established Member
I looked at the Remington but bought a Browning. When I picked it up and held it, it just felt right. A pump shotgun is great home defense.....the sound of a round being cycled in speaks to all languages.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have an ithica featherweight 12 gauge that belonged to my dad .. I love that weapon. that, a Taurus 911, and a 7.62mm Mauser is what my gun collection consists of.

Users who are viewing this thread