Short Water Pump Conversion

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I recently just converted to a short water pump on my 98 cobra and I haven’t ever seen anyone talk about this before so I figured I’d share what I learned.

96-mid 01 had long water pumps
Mid 01- 04 had short water pumps

Both are interchangeable as long as you have the appropriate generation pulley. I originally ordered a March aluminum pulley but it wasn’t the factory size like their other pulleys are. It wouldn’t work so I went to our local junkyard and pulled a pulley off a newer 4.6 until I can find an aluminum replacement. I haven’t been able to find anyone who makes a factory diameter aluminum pulley for the short pump. If you know of any please let me know.

The short pump will free up some room up front allowing better access to the tensioner if you have a procharger like me. It will also save you some weight. I would imagine there are benefits for it being shorter and having less leverage on the shaft as well.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I haven’t been able to find a factory size aluminum pulley for the short water pump and it bugged me running the factory steel pulley. So I drew one in fusion 360 and sent the file off to a local CNC shop. It should be done soon and I will give you the comparison when I get it.
9950D5F3-31B7-4E46-AAFC-3865872E701B.jpeg

shurur

Established Member
yup..the difference between the teksid and wap blocks.

I thought that March had UD WP pulleys for both blocks

edit: ok i see you want the oem size pulley//

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Very nice, have you thought about selling them?

I didn't figure there would be much interest as people are not as obsessed with weight as I am. The mass public are not working on these cars anymore so only enthusiast traffic. Also, the price I paid is pretty extreme for just one unit. There may be some benefit for a large order but not likely to make enough difference and probably not enough demand for say 1,000+ units.

Users who are viewing this thread