Short throw shifter

maddmax1999

Established Member
I just got my 03. I had a question. It has a short throw shifter and everytime I put it in reverse it grinds or pops out of gear. Every other gear is fine. I was wondering if its due to the short throw shifter.:shrug:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
It sounds like the shift stops are in and not adjusted correctly. I'd just take them out. The are horizontal bolts going through the ring around the shifter base (usually facing towards the front and rear of the car). They are probably keeping the shifter from going all the way into reverse.

One other problem I've seen is trying to put the shifter in upside down. In some shifters I've seen, the manufacturer's script on the top plate of the shifter is upside down when installed correctly (as you would read it sitting in the seat). However, I don't think it will shift correctly if installed upside down, so my money is still on the stops. What kind of shifter is it?

GA Terminator

Established Member
it sounds like the shift stops are in and not adjusted correctly. I'd just take them out. The are horizontal bolts going through the ring around the shifter base (usually facing towards the front and rear of the car). They are probably keeping the shifter from going all the way into reverse.

One other problem i've seen is trying to put the shifter in upside down. In some shifters i've seen, the manufacturer's script on the top plate of the shifter is upside down when installed correctly (as you would read it sitting in the seat). However, i don't think it will shift correctly if installed upside down, so my money is still on the stops. What kind of shifter is it?

+1

20psirabbit

Established Member
I'd check for the stops and correct install like others above said, if those are both kosher maybe change the trans fluid? The trans fluid might be haggered too.

SpectorV

Established Member
take out any shift stops it has and double check to make sure its the right shifter for your car (im sure it is)

adjust the clutch petal so you get more petal when you push it in... especially if you have to put the clutch petal to the floor to shift (mine was like this when I purchased it, after adjusting it it was 10000x better)

maddmax1999

Established Member
take out any shift stops it has and double check to make sure its the right shifter for your car (im sure it is)

adjust the clutch petal so you get more petal when you push it in... especially if you have to put the clutch petal to the floor to shift (mine was like this when I purchased it, after adjusting it it was 10000x better)

I will have to check out those bolts. How hard is it to adjust the clutch petal?

It sounds like the shift stops are in and not adjusted correctly. I'd just take them out. The are horizontal bolts going through the ring around the shifter base (usually facing towards the front and rear of the car). They are probably keeping the shifter from going all the way into reverse.

One other problem I've seen is trying to put the shifter in upside down. In some shifters I've seen, the manufacturer's script on the top plate of the shifter is upside down when installed correctly (as you would read it sitting in the seat). However, I don't think it will shift correctly if installed upside down, so my money is still on the stops. What kind of shifter is it?

I think its a MGM. Correct me if I'm wrong with the brand name.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
MGW. I don't remember seeing a Lion's head engraved on the shifter. MGM makes movies, not shifters. lol

SpectorV

Established Member
To adjust the clutch http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/389553-how-adjust-clutch-cable.html

I have mine set such that I have a half inch travel from when I start pushing my clutch petal in from the top (no flop its firm at the top) before the rpms slip. To test go down the road at 45-55 mph hold the gas steady with one foot and ease the clutch in with the other. You will see your rpms jump when the clutch starts to slip.

maddmax1999

Established Member
So I checked the shifter and the stops are ok. I adjusted the clutch cable and its still popping out of reverse. So today I went into a transmission shop and talked to the guy there and he told me more than likely its one of my transmission folks. The one with 5 gear and reverse on it. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about. But then again I dont know transmission that well. Has anyone had this problem before and if so what was the problem. I dont what to take it in and get ripped off.

Users who are viewing this thread