Short throw install help...

BUSHDIVING82

Established Member
Hey guys,

I've installed several shifters over the years, but obviously the s197 is more complex. I've researched several creative ways to attempt to remove the stock boss shifter knob, but was curious what has actually been proven to be successful here on the forum? Secondly, this makes me feel dumb asking...but what is the trick to removing the passenger retaining clip on the shifter bracket? Thanks guys!

FivePointO

Established Member
I don't have a Boss, but I have a GT and I had the same problem getting my Steeda knob off. While this sounds strange, try sitting in the passenger seat and unscrewing the knob. I was able to give myself more leverage to screw it off. As for the retaining clip, you just have to give the stock shifter bracket a strong pull, and the retaining clip will break loose.

str3ck

Established Member
if you are still having problems removing the shift knob, try wrapping a leather belt around it, and put a pipe wrench over the belt. grips well without damaging the knob.

BUSHDIVING82

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys! I'll try the passenger seat method for sure, if all else fails I'll break out the pipe wrench. I also read that putting some heat on it might loosen up the Loctite.

azazell64

Established Member
if you are still having problems removing the shift knob, try wrapping a leather belt around it, and put a pipe wrench over the belt. grips well without damaging the knob.
This was the way I ended up having to do mine. Make sure it is not a good belt as mine ended up fairly marked up afterwards I was lucky it was a part of an old Halloween costume.

BUSHDIVING82

Established Member
Although I'm not a huge fan of their tools...I went to Harbor Freights and picked up a set of two strap wrenches for $6. Worked like a charm with little effort. Sadly, after all this... I uninstalled the shifter after 1 day. Loved the shorter throws, but could not stand the added noise and rattles that came along with it. Back to stock for now until I can muster up the heuvos to do the MGW race spec install.

Users who are viewing this thread