Short Story About "It's Not A Real Cobra"

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Kind of funny thing happened last night when I was playing pool ...

I was talking to a young lady about her '03 GT, and told her that when I pulled up, there was a red Cobra out in front. She said, "yeah, I think that belongs to the guy you're getting ready to play." I talked with him for a couple of minutes, and the gist of the conversation was - "It's not a real Cobra, it just has the badging on it."

Well, I'm thinking, "duh, I didn't know there were two categories of Cobras - real ones, and not real ones!":-D

No, seriously, this was a decent guy - I'm just making fun of what he said. He's had several GTs, and is currently building a '68 Camero.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
i never understood cobra badging on GTs/V6s. When I was looking for cars (before I bought mine) I saw what looked like a laser red 96 cobra vert in mint condition. I got really excited, but it ended up being a bonestock automatic '94 V6 with full cobra body and badges.:cuss:

95 cobra vert

Established Member
I had a kid at my high school who tried to tell everyone his 96 gt was a cobra. But the only things he put on to say it was a cobra was the front badges and the svt on the trunk lid. The bigger problem was that the front snakes were on backwards and the svt was on the right side on the bottom of the trunk. I parked next to him as much as i could, needless to say, he didnt like me very much.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
When i had my fbody there was a kid that lived near me that had one of the newer 4th gen v6 camaros. he put oversized old school (cerca 1969) Z/28 badges on sides where the real emblems should be (had it been a real Z). he had a custom license plate that said "Z ME" i got next to him one day and ran him in my (real) z28 and just kinda toyed with him. he had is windows down and i made fun of him, i know he heard me. that was a good day.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
The only thing I don't understand is what are the owners trying to prove by adding the cobra badging. I mean they are not as fast and don't have the cobra engine, etc...

Why pretend? I'd rather be proud of my GT or strip the GT emblems and have no emblems. I don't understand I guess...

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Bens4vcobra said:
When i had my fbody there was a kid that lived near me that had one of the newer 4th gen v6 camaros. he put oversized old school (cerca 1969) Z/28 badges on sides where the real emblems should be (had it been a real Z). he had a custom license plate that said "Z ME" i got next to him one day and ran him in my (real) z28 and just kinda toyed with him. he had is windows down and i made fun of him, i know he heard me. that was a good day.
:lol1:

Yeah I remember seeing Camaros with Z28 or SS badging that were CLEARLY V6s (many things can differentiate the cars.

I just don't get it... at a certain point it's almost embarrassing. Just be happy with what you have.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Venomous01 said:

Yeah I remember seeing Camaros with Z28 or SS badging that were CLEARLY V6s (many things can differentiate the cars.

I just don't get it... at a certain point it's almost embarrassing. Just be happy with what you have.

Yeah i had this conversation with a friend of mine a while back. we were talking about v6 owners buying v8's off ebay or from a scrapyard and swapping them in their cars. we decided that even though the cars may have the appropriate motor, it still doesnt necessitate incorrect badging. if it wasnt born a cobra from detroit, it aint ever gonna be a cobra.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Venomous01 said:
The only thing I don't understand is what are the owners trying to prove by adding the cobra badging. I mean they are not as fast and don't have the cobra engine, etc...

Why pretend? I'd rather be proud of my GT or strip the GT emblems and have no emblems. I don't understand I guess...
Thats me. I would rather people think my car is slower than faster anyways. Then i just take it to them, and say they got beat by a GT. I have seen people with supercharged GTs put cobra badges on their car and say hey its faster than one now. But still why. It doesnt do anything for you. Its a GT be proud of it and be proud that it can beat a cobra.

Fobra = :rollseyes

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
I get that all the time. I ws getting a haircut yesterday and a guy walked in and asled "who's mustang is that out there". I said it was mine, and he asked if it was a clone, I said " no, its really a mustang". He didnt find that very amusing

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
One of my biggest beefs is people in other cars that beat these fake badged cobras and believe they are real! I met a guy that worked at pepboys who said he never lost to a cobra in his bone stock 96gt! :poke: I laughed.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Blown4v said:
I get that all the time. I ws getting a haircut yesterday and a guy walked in and asled "who's mustang is that out there". I said it was mine, and he asked if it was a clone, I said " no, its really a mustang". He didnt find that very amusing

HA. Good one bro, :thumbsup:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Bens4vcobra said:
i got next to him one day and ran him in my (real) z28 and just kinda toyed with him. he had is windows down and i made fun of him, i know he heard me. that was a good day.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's me all day long.
I had some chump in a beat up Eagle Talon revving up next to me in stop and go traffic.
I gave him "thumbs down" and kept telling him "I'm not impressed" LOL
Told him his car sounded like a Mosquito.
LOL you guys should've seen this kid...Tank top, sideways NY straight bill baseball hat, AND A MULLET!!!:poke:

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Yea a supercharged Fobra may be faster...but the cobra can still brake and turn better. And get more girls :D

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
LOL you guys should've seen this kid...Tank top, sideways NY straight bill baseball hat, AND A MULLET!!!:poke:

you have those guys up there too? thought that was just a southern thang...

fastlane65

Starting lots of projects
Established Member
I have a really good friend that put Cobra badges on the sides of his '90s Explorer just to confuse people. I guess if Shelby could put his name on a Dodge Dakota........

Users who are viewing this thread