Short Runner Mani and Tune?

RioRed97Cob

Established Member
Hey guys,
I have picked up a "nasvt" short runner manifold and FRPP Ceramic shorty headers for my 97 cobra. The car has been garaged this winter and I'd like to slap these parts on before spring rolls around.
I just picked up a SCT Livewire as well.. and it's unlocked in the box.
My mods on the car are:
O/R X-pipe
Flowmasters
Accufab S/B Throttle body w/ modded up intake hat
WMS Fendermount CAI

Basically I'm concerned about throwing all the parts on the car and it needing a tune. The throttle body went on flawlessly.. and I'm just hoping the short runner does the same. Will i NEED a tune? Obviously it would be beneficial, but can I just bolt it up and still have my car drivable?
On the SCT Livewire side of things.. I know I should just go get a dyno tune to always be on the safe side. But anyone use a handheld tuner to compensate for manifolds, ect..?
Just looking for suggestions before I rip everything apart and find stuff out the hard way.. lol we've all been there Thanks in advance

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Hey guys,
I have picked up a "nasvt" short runner manifold and FRPP Ceramic shorty headers for my 97 cobra. The car has been garaged this winter and I'd like to slap these parts on before spring rolls around.
I just picked up a SCT Livewire as well.. and it's unlocked in the box.
My mods on the car are:
O/R X-pipe
Flowmasters
Accufab S/B Throttle body w/ modded up intake hat
WMS Fendermount CAI

Basically I'm concerned about throwing all the parts on the car and it needing a tune. The throttle body went on flawlessly.. and I'm just hoping the short runner does the same. Will i NEED a tune? Obviously it would be beneficial, but can I just bolt it up and still have my car drivable?
On the SCT Livewire side of things.. I know I should just go get a dyno tune to always be on the safe side. But anyone use a handheld tuner to compensate for manifolds, ect..?
Just looking for suggestions before I rip everything apart and find stuff out the hard way.. lol we've all been there Thanks in advance

They car will be driveable but you will notice a slight loss of performance till you get it tuned. Also, you cant compensate with a hand held tuner unless you have the actual tuning software to make a custom tune.

Also, with all the money spent on the parts, why not get the most performance out of them and insure that your car is running correct with a new tune.

Why shorty headers? You might as well stick with stock performance wise. Mid lengths at the very least with the best performance being long tubes.

Are you going to do IMRC deletes too? A short runner with IMRC's is a bit of a waste.

luke87gt

Established Member
First, you can't really tune your car with a handheld tuner unless you buy the PRP Software (~$500) or work with a tuner to either tune the car in person or remotely by emailing you a tune.

Next, that TB and shorty headers aren't doing much for you in terms of power. I doubt you gain anything with those two mods.

I would add the SRI, IMRC Deletes, March Fluidamper, and tune the car. Sell the TB and headers and make a few hundred back.

Best of luck.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
From all the research I've done you need a custom tune to take advantage of the SRI. And not a mail order tune either. Also like mentioned above, do the IMRC deletes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread