Short or long.... headers that is

04owmach

Established Member
I have a 92 gt that I'm working on and replacing the exhaust. Previous owner bought the cheapest stuff they could including pacesetter headers and mid pipe and then just hung two Flowmaster mufflers basically right off the mid pipe. so I've replaced all the hangers that were missing and got a new dynomax catback but the midpipe doesn't fit the replaced hanger due to po cutting and rewelding the midpipe. I'm replacing all this and can't decide whether to go back with long tube or the frpp shorty headers. It does have gt40p heads. This is just a weekend cruiser so I'm not sure long tube are worth the hassle.

Cliffs
Previous owner is a cheapskate idiot
Need to replace headers and midpipe
Long tubes or shorty for gt40p heads

crazycarlo

Established Member
How low is your car? Is the motor stock? What's your budget? A lot comes down to personal preference. Ill be be putting shorties ony car because its LOW and I can deal without trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of it.

04owmach

Established Member
Car is stock height. I would like to eventually put the Latemodel resto spring kit on it to lower it just a bit. Motor is just a rebuilt shortblock with gt40p heads, e-cam, explorer intake, and roller rockers. Not worried about squeezing every last bit out of it as its just a weekend cruise machine for the wife and I. Budget is not a big deal but not like kooks or dougs headers expensive. looking at either bbk longtubes or frpp shorties ceramic coated. same with midpipe going back with or h pipe bbk either way.

crazycarlo

Established Member
That's the route I'm taking with my coupe and I'm going shorties. Unless you have the MM steering shaft I've heard stories of people having to dent tubes to get the stock steering shaft to clear long tubes. I had ceramic FRPP on my 98 cobra and loved them.

04owmach

Established Member
Ended up ordering frpp shorties. The long tubes have been a huge pita just to remove and I'm not even worried about tearing them up to remove them so installing new pretty long tubes sounds awful. New exhaust goodies should arrive Thursday for a weekend install

crazycarlo

Established Member
Awesome man. Deff take some pictures and post them up when your done Id love to see them. I found a deal on some GT40 heads and some mufflers on the internet Im trying to work right now haha.

Users who are viewing this thread