short block vs short block

The Commander

Established Member
I dont know if this is the right place to post this but what do you guys think about buying a short block already bulit vs buying a junkyard short block and getting it bulit or using your low mileage block thats in your car already to get built?

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
If its for a 4V motor, just use another teskid block, unless yours is already out, to build on. Save a $$$$. Doesnt matter if its used or new, factory teskid blocks are bombproof for some pushing over 1000hp. Now if you have a 94-95 cobra, junk that shit and buy a Dart block.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Save the 4V crank as well, if its in good shape. Its a stout forged piece. Pistons and rods are the modular motor's weak link when it comes to forced induction. This is all that's really needed for a stout shortblock.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I picked up another Teksid block and forged crank for my 98. It has a reman Teksid in it now with a stock bottom end. It runs fine but obviously wont hold the HP I want to be at. So I'm slowly building the Teksid i picked up in the corner of my garage. Its really a toss up for you. If your car is not a daily, you can pull it, disassemble it and have it built. Or you can find a short block already built in the for sale section. Hard to gauge which route is the cheapest.

The Commander

Established Member
I think im going to go the junkyard route cause my 97 is not a daily but i do drive it a few times a month and that way i can take my time to get it together thanks for the replies.And the mark 8 crank is not forged is it?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Mark 8 cranks aren't forged.. For what it's worth, if I could do it all over again I would just order the Ford Racing 46x short block and call it good.. Sell the crank and block that is the car currently. You'll be good to go.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Mark 8 cranks aren't forged.. For what it's worth, if I could do it all over again I would just order the Ford Racing 46x short block and call it good.. Sell the crank and block that is the car currently. You'll be good to go.

I figured he was referring to the Cobra 8-Bolt forged crank, not the Mark VIII cast 6-bolt. My mistake.

I don't think ford offers older style modular shortblocks anymore.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Since when is it not available? The 46x shortblocks were pretty new.. They were available last time I check and last time AED checked btw.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I stand corrected. I was probably led to believe so because I was looking up 4.6L shortblocks and found none (???), dismissing 5.0L shortblocks as all Coyote specific.

Users who are viewing this thread