Shopping for winter tires

TRMNTR

Established Member
I'm researching winter tires.

I have a 2012 V6 Coupe Performance Package.

I'm planning to go with 235/50/18 for the winter.

At the top of my list is the Blizzak LM60, Pirelli Winter Scottozero and Dunlop Graspic DS3. At this point, I'm leaning toward the Pirellis.

Do you have any thoughts or comments on these tires?

What can you do on a set of four of them?

Thanks.

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Are you planning to run them on your stock wheels or do you have a dedicated winter wheel set? The reason I ask is, there may be some additional sizes with other winter tires to consider as well.

I don't have specs for these tires in my system but just looking at the tread designs it looks like the Dunlop and the Blizzak will provide the most traction when new while the Pirelli looks to be a little more sport oriented. I'm not sure about this particular Blizzak model but most Blizzaks are 2/3 winter tire and 1/3 all season so if you are looking for a 100% winter tire you might want to look into the details more on the Blizzak to make sure they are.

Another tire to consider in the 235/50R18 size is the Hankook Evo W310. These will be similar to the Pirelli you are considering in that their tread design is a little more sport oriented.

If we can help you more with a set please let us know. We also sell dedicated Momo Winter wheels that may work with your application. If you are planning to keep your Mustang for a while having a dedicated winter wheel and tire set may save you some money in the long run when it comes to swapping tires twice a year. If you go this route we may be able to get you into a 17" winter wheel and tire package and really help improve your winter traction.

Last edited:

TRMNTR

Established Member
I'm planning to get a dedicated set of winter wheels. I have the black 19" performance package wheels now. I want to stay with something black to keep a similar appearance.

I found a good price on some 2010 GT500 replicas 18" x 9". I'm open to other sizes, but I don't want to go too small. I'd like to preserve some decent handling for the 3-4 months that I will have them on the car.

For that reason, I lean more towards one with sportier tread/handling. There are really only a handful of days where the snow is really a problem. I'm leary of going to a 17" wheel/tire combo for the handling concerns.

I just know I don't want to run all winter on my summer tires. (I ran the stock summer tires on my Mazdaspeed 6 back in 2006. That was a nightmare, even with AWD.)

Let me know what you suggest.

Thanks.

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
When it comes to winter traction narrower tires with taller sidewalls will help you get the most traction on slippery surfaces. This does have its trade offs though. Tires with taller sidewalls and narrower tread don't handle as well at higher speeds or when cornering hard. That said, no winter tire is built for ultra high performance and really shouldn't be driven that way. Winter tires have softer rubber compounds and wear quickly under aggressive driving pressures.

If you want to look at a 17" package. I'd recommend looking at the Momo Winter Pro S wheel. This wheel is powder coated, easy to clean, and will fit within your fenders to help keep road grime from getting kicked up on the side of your vehicle during the winter months. Link: 17" Momo wheels. Pairing this wheel with a winter tire in the 235/55R17 size would be an excellent winter package. This size will basically be the same diameter as your OE tire with about 1" more sidewall between your new wheel and the road.

If you want to stick with an 18" winter tire and wheel package I'd recommend looking at the Voxx MG3 or the MB Twist. These are not designed specifically for winter use but both of these wheels are affordable and have simple designs that are easy to clean. Link: 18" Mustang Wheels As for tires, I'd recommend looking at the 235/50R18 or 255/45R18 sizes. These sizes are, again, basically the same in diameter as you stock 19" tires but have 1/2" more sidewall height. Links: 235/50R18 Winter Tires, 255/45R18 Winter Tires

I hope this helps get you started. If you have any additional questions or would like an accurate ETA please call us at 1.888.459.4080. Anyone here would be happy to help you. Your salesman can quickly explain your TPMS options as well as any additional tire warranties that may be available. No matter what you decide to do, with a dedicated winter tire this coming cold season you'll be much better off than you were in 2006 with your Mazda.

Users who are viewing this thread