Shoplifters meet semi truck

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Nobody is showing empathy for the criminals. We're weighing pros and cons of chasing them once they have shown they are willing to run at high speeds.

we all want them either in jail or dead, but neither at the cost of somebody on the way to get their kids from school.

IMO the bigger issue was the strips right before stopped oncoming traffic. He lost control to avoid the spikes and ended up causing some decent damage to a Rig. I could only imagine if it was a car/SUV.
It looked like the trucker wasn't in his truck(a guess) as far as I could tell.
Didn't have audio.

01svtL

Established Member
Is it just me or is the video in the OP completely pointless? Nothing of significance to the story happens and you can't see shit.

MFE

Established Member
Is it just me or is the video in the OP completely pointless? Nothing of significance to the story happens and you can't see shit.

Yes, it's just you. Everybody else watched more than 19 seconds.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Please don't take my comment the wrong way.

The 'end result' of the criminal I couldn't give a shit about. We all have consequences for our actions.

The chase aspect is for the safety of other civilians. The first car just 'happened' to be a semi. I get that it's felony evasion, but many cities won't chase over X mph. They had a chopper on the guy, he wasn't getting away.

Shooting people over shoplifting is just internet talk. Go stand behind a register. Would you shoot some young kid for walking out with candy? I don't like POS meth heads either, but punishments need to fit crimes.

I basically feel they gave the guy a choice of stops sticks or traffic. Given the guy was still in his truck, I find it impromptu. Semi or not, I wouldn't want to sit in there getting hit at 80mph head on. Don't know what's going to be on fire, what might get you scalded in coolant, hell you can still get whiplash.

The question is was the semi there on purpose? The situation totally needs reviewed in how it was handled.

I basically just don't like the idea of endangering people to catch people that hadn't committed violence. NOW, I read a bunch of comments in the links and they definitely were running people off the road and the initial call came in as shots fired. They had it coming. Just don't want to see a family get smeared by 4000lbs of methhead at 80mph. A police vehicle should always be the buffer if they can.

I completely agree with the above.

Our local city Police discontinued high speed pursuits due to a few incidents, and they now call in one of our two Police helicopters instead.
Our national Police now discourages high speed pursuits, but ultimately leaves the final judgement to the officer based on the perceived risk to public safety.

“Our new policy now discourages pursuing a stolen vehicle, just for the sole purpose that it’s stolen,” he said, adding the new policy won’t give drivers of stolen cars a free pass.
“Obviously if somebody is in a stolen vehicle and is impaired or has been involved in other criminal activity, then there’s no strict prohibition from engaging or not engaging, there’s all kinds of factors that will come into play.
“All pursuit policies have a balance or risk assessment portion so our members can have the policies and tools in place so they can judge if something is getting way too risky, as far as public safety goes, for the benefits of criminal apprehension.”

Last edited:

01svtL

Established Member
Yes, it's just you. Everybody else watched more than 19 seconds.

You're right. I refreshed and watched again. For some reason, half the screen was missing the first time I watched, so all I saw was a field and then what looked like a broken down semi from 200 yards away. My apologies. A

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I understand that innocent lives are sometimes put at risk.
That may even be a family member of mine one day or even me but I have no issue with a chase in this situation.
Time to start putting the blame back on where it belongs, the criminal.
It is his fault if he runs and more often than not it ends well.

And I'm also a firm believer that just because the cops back off the runner isn't stopping anytime soon. He is gonna stay in it for some time always looking around and over his shoulder to see where the next cop will be.
Probably more distracted than knowing they are behind him.

Chase baby, and beat their ass when you get them stopped.

03'Darin

Established Member
Harsh penalty there BUT:

- Stolen car.......... CHECK
- Stolen tags........ CHECK
- Stolen credit cardS....... CHECK
- Steal merchandise after stolen credit cards are denied..... CHECK
- Running from police in high speed pursuit........ CHECK MATE

Users who are viewing this thread