Shop Manager Needing Advice!!!

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Hey guys, I manage a transmission shop and I am talking to a customer with a '01 Cobra who wants to upgrade his tranny to a t56. Has anybody done this? What's involved? How much did it cost you? What should I recommend in your opinion? Any help would be great!!! Thanks, Nick

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Check out D&D and Promotion powertrain's websites for ideas on what they do. Usually, 26spline input, steel TOB retainer, carbon syncro's, billet keys and 3/4 shift fork, bronze sliders, etc.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
If he doesn't want to stick with his 3650 then for a t56 swap, he'll need a new driveshaft, re-position the crossmember, and a new shifter. While its apart he should upgrade the T56 input shaft to 26 splines and get a 26spline disk.

-Mark

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Make sure you choose an appropriate first geared T56. The 3650 has a 3.30'ish ratio which makes the stock 3.27 rear gears livable but most T56's are much lower (numerically). Just do the math with whatever his current rear gear ratio is and try to get similar or better than stock multiplication.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
tell him to stick with a 5-speed. tko 600 or a promotion powertrain built t-r3650...the tko being a better tranny

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Thanks guys! I checked out D&D and Pro-Formance and they're good company's. I gave the customer the option to upgrade to the T-56 or the option of us rebuilding his trans. with upgraded parts from the Pro-Formance parts bin. You can buy the carbon synchro's and other misc. parts directly from them. Thanks again.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
i always thought he t56 crossmember bolted up in the same spot as any 5 speed one. what with the repositioning?

If you have the proper crossmember. I think what he means is if you reuse the stock one, it won't line up, so you have to move it slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread