Shop installed Spec 3+, now have vibration at idle and clutch pedal

pianoman90

Established Member
I recently had Modular Powerhouse install a Spec 3+ clutch, 26 spline input shaft, Spec steel flywheel, Spec TOB, Steeda quadrant, and a Steeda firewall adjuster. The setup has about 200-300 miles on it so far, and I don't really have that much chatter. I've figured out how to minimize chatter by reving to 1500-2000 rpm before letting out, so I don't think that's the problem here.

However, I now have a vibration that I can feel in my clutch pedal as I cruise around town, and it is causing the quadrant to rattle (I'm fairly certain it's the quadrant). The TOB isn't chirping or making any noise during this vibration or when I push the pedal in. Also at idle, the car vibrates slightly, but nothing too extreme. I'd say it's similar to a car with some lopey cams.

Is this just part of a new clutch break-in, or should I try using my firewall adjuster to get the right spacing. MPH told me that they had already adjusted it and not to move anything, as to not burn up the clutch. The owner even drove the car around for a while and I think he would've said something if the car felt odd. I'm going to call them in the morning to double check, but I thought I'd ask in the meantime.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
since you paid them just call them and if you can bring it in do that.

pianoman90

Established Member
I just got off the phone with Tim and he said that the vibration is normal. He said that since I only have ~200-300 miles on it that I have some spots with glaze and some spots that have low glaze and that is probably causing the vibration. He also said he'd be more than willing to take a look at the car and drive it with me if I'd like, but the shop is a 2 hour drive away. I may put a few more miles on it before I make that decision, what do you all think?

MVD

Established Member
I just got off the phone with Tim and he said that the vibration is normal. He said that since I only have ~200-300 miles on it that I have some spots with glaze and some spots that have low glaze and that is probably causing the vibration.

I think he is full of shit. No vibration is normal.

pianoman90

Established Member
Is that considered chatter though? I always figured chatter to be slipping the clutch at too low an RPM. I just don't want to continue driving the car if something isn't right, but I want to get some more miles on so I can see if it helps or not.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
i just had a spec 3+ completely crap out on me with 6,000 miles. I would double check everything tp be 100% sure.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Or they didn't mark the driveshaft before they dropped it and put it back in 90deg off on one end. That can cause odd vibrations. Just rotate one end by 90deg and test drive it.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I would give it a couple hundred more miles before you take a trip back out to have them look at it. If it's still vibrating after 500+ miles, have them look at it.

pianoman90

Established Member
I may drive it some more today and see how it does, but I'm seriously considering the trip tomorrow morning. Would adjusting the firewall mount help this vibration?

I was going to add that it only vibrates after about 30 minutes of driving, long after the car reaches operating temp. And it's not really throttle or gear dependent. Sometimes a certain gear will vibrate and sometimes it won't.

VincodeY

Established Member
you did replace the retainer sleeve, right? if not, you could have snapped the stock one.

04cobrasvt

whipple charged
Established Member
that chattering will go away in a few hundred miles. my clutch petal always vibed but never enough to make any noise maybe they didnt shim the quadrant tight enough

pianoman90

Established Member
you did replace the retainer sleeve, right? if not, you could have snapped the stock one.

Well I asked them to order one if I needed it and they said the stock one looked in perfect shape. Also, would that not make a noise if it was broken? Just wondering...

that chattering will go away in a few hundred miles. my clutch petal always vibed but never enough to make any noise maybe they didnt shim the quadrant tight enough

I'm thinking the same thing about the quadrant. It doesn't have any side-to-side play, but it is the source of the occasional ratte. I'm confident that the rattle will go away when the vibrations cease. Hopefully this is all normal and I'm just overreacting, but I'll probably get it check out tomorrow just to be safe.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I just went through a clutch change at 20K miles because of a broken Retainer tube. In addition to giving the TOB a surface to ride on, it also centers the TOB on the Pressure Plate fingers.

An easy way to check it is under the car, driver's side of the transmission. Remove the inspection cover to reveal the clutch arm. If the Retainer Tube is broken, you will be able to move the clutch arm up/down. If it's OK, the arm can only move left/right (towards front of the car when you push in the pedal and then towards the back of the car when the pedal is released.

Sorry to disagree with MPH, but I replaced everything inside of the bellhousing. From the pilot bearing all the way to the clutch arm and pivot. I figured that it will cost me several hundred to have the tranny pulled and reinstalled, so I don't want to go back in there for anything other than a worn out friction disk. Just my opinion. Then again I don't make money by working on cars.
:beer:

VincodeY

Established Member
Cool. I had a Throwout Bearing go on me, and I ordered a clutch kit and Lethal Performance retainer sleeve, just cus. I got the tranny dropped and barely touched the stock piece, and it sheared right off. Just my two pennies but it's good practice to replace that part when doing a clutch in these cars. Hopefully it's just some break in jitters and will go away.

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
My car did not vibrate after the install of the spec 3+ at all.
I did however install the chicago free play clutch mod,
it stopped my peddle from rattleing after the install allthough you may have other issues and the long drive sucks no matter if they take care of it or not , its time consuming for you to have to deal with after the fact.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I just had a 3+ and 26 spline input installed and there are NO vibrations. Aside from the normal break-in chatter (only 300-400 miles in my case) my clutch is smooth. Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, your clutch only makes this vibration when letting it out? Not just cruising around in gear, correct? If the clutch vibrates while it is in (your foot off the pedal) you've got some issues. GL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread