scibona55

Established Member
I have 1998 cobra and recently installed strange engineering's adjustable shocks. Every time i hit a bump the rear suspension bangs :nonono: :fm:. Has anyone tried these shocks or have had similar problems? I am really unhappy with the suspension now and if anyone has a suggestion on a good shock I would appreciate it.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Has the same problem. But it turned out to be my exhaust was hitting the body, so make sure nothing making contact back there first

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I have 1998 cobra and recently installed strange engineering's adjustable shocks. Every time i hit a bump the rear suspension bangs :nonono: :fm:. Has anyone tried these shocks or have had similar problems? I am really unhappy with the suspension now and if anyone has a suggestion on a good shock I would appreciate it.

I'm sure this isn't it but just to put it out there, is it possible your sway bar is broken? Maybe your ebrake cable got messed up or something? I've had both happen and make noise over bumps before.

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
I have strange shocks/struts on all four corners with no rattles or noise, double check that you tightened the nuts and like Njc0las said look for any other out of place things.

scibona55

Established Member
what are your recommendations for shocks? i use to be all about street and strip but i now have little time for the strip and want it to be a street/show car that will drive as smooth as i can get it. It feels very rough and I can hardly stand to drive it

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Oh man don't get me started!! I bought the strange struts and shocks and they rattled like crazy on these Los Angeles roads. I was absolutely pissed with the outcome. I spent numerous hours checking and retorquing suspension bolts to no progress. That was until I swapped my old tokico blues back on and everything was quiet once again.

I actually contacted Strange and their tech actually confirmed there was a design flaw on some certain struts and shocks for the mustang. They offered to warranty them upon them reviewing the products and me paying shipping for both ways and they couldn't promise me a non-clunking set. Fail!

I've been wanting to go with tokico illuminas. My brother loves them.

scibona55

Established Member
roadzombie: I contacted strange as well asking about this problem and they stated that as well...kinda makes me wonder why i bought them in the first place. I see the tokico illuminas are adjustable as well. Is it a disadvantage on the street to have adjustable shocks? I question would it be better to get a ordinary non adjustable shock, I just want to enjoy the ride again.

bornatiger

Established Member
roadzombie: I contacted strange as well asking about this problem and they stated that as well...kinda makes me wonder why i bought them in the first place. I see the tokico illuminas are adjustable as well. Is it a disadvantage on the street to have adjustable shocks? I question would it be better to get a ordinary non adjustable shock, I just want to enjoy the ride again.
while I don't know about the adjustable shocks, I can tell you that the tokico blues made my car ride very smooth. Zero complaints and I have even had a few passengers comment on how comfortable the ride is. Suprising since I have frpp springs as well.

gsfordracing

Established Member
+1 on the Bilsteins!!!

I ran with Bilstein shocks and struts with the Maximum Motorsports Coil overs. Best ride hands down. If I could afford the coil overs on my current Cobra they would already be installed. I do have Bilsteins installed and wouldn't use any other product.

scibona55

Established Member
which bilsteins did you use? I saw the heavy duty shocks on lethatlperformance but not sure if i need the "heavy duty" (maybe thats the problem with my suspension in the first place)

Users who are viewing this thread