Shock Install How to?

killrSVT

Established Member
Anyone care to take time out of thier day to write a how to on strut/shock install? 2001 cobra IRS. This would be my first time, seems simple enough. But, I want to make sure before I get involved.

o0rikio0o

Established Member
jack rear up. remove wheels. remove shock bolt. remove trunk liner. remove shock bolt. put new shock in. tighten both bolts. reapply wheel. lower car. tighten the trunk shock bolt more. reapply trunk liner.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
o0rikio0o said:
jack rear up. remove wheels. remove shock bolt. remove trunk liner. remove shock bolt. put new shock in. tighten both bolts. reapply wheel. lower car. tighten the trunk shock bolt more. reapply trunk liner.

LOL
now just explain the front...

o0rikio0o

Established Member
lol, not as easy, but here goes:

jack front up. remove wheels. remove the two strut bolts. prop hood open. vice grip shock bolt. remove shock bolt. remove shock. place new shock in. bolt bottom bolts. vice grip and bolt top bolts. reapply wheels. lower the front. retighten top bolts.

killrSVT

Established Member
Yea, Uh.. I guess I should have clarified that I was looking for any "tricky" points, possible hangups, does the IRS need support anywhere, any torque settings things like that.. Maybe if someone that has done it on the 01 could chime in, or someone that is serious and not looking to flame.

Last edited:

o0rikio0o

Established Member
killrSVT said:
Yea, Uh.. I guess I should have clarified that I was looking for any "tricky" points, possible hangups, does the IRS need support anywhere, any torque settings things like that.. Maybe if someone that has done it on the 01 could chime in, or someone that is serious and not looking to flame.

you might think its flaming, but the instructions i gave are exactly how to do it.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
killrSVT said:

the hardest part about changing shocks on a car with a virgin trunk liner is the goddamn pirranha-esque liner clips. After you get those pried off and most likely dig one out of your thumb, then you really do just undo the nut on the top of the shock and on the back of the irs. Repeat steps for other side then repeat in reverse on both sides.:beer:

omj

Established Member
Besure and hold the top of the rear shock with a small wrench when loosening/tightening the nut on the shock.

killrSVT

Established Member
damn, I apoligize, for the flame comment... I just didn't think it was that simple. thanks for the input and how to.

Now, here is my dilemma. I now have buyers remorse for this purchase on E-Bay for these Bilstein's.. I shouldn't have submitted such a high max bid. They are stock Bilstein's '04 cobra, 6K miles on them. Tell me what you guys think. here is the item # on e-bay if the link doesn't work below 320114859072.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320114859072

o0rikio0o

Established Member
hey man its cool. about that auction.. dude.. you scored! that thing was friggen cheap and if i saw that when the auction was still going i wouldve bid up to $300. if you have serious buyers remorse, you can sell it on the svtperformance marketplace for $300-$350 and make some dough. no joke.

Last edited:

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
killrSVT said:
Anyone care to take time out of thier day to write a how to on strut/shock install? 2001 cobra IRS. This would be my first time, seems simple enough. But, I want to make sure before I get involved.

Bolts suck! :burn:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
the hardest part about changing shocks on a car with a virgin trunk liner is the goddamn pirranha-esque liner clips. After you get those pried off and most likely dig one out of your thumb, then you really do just undo the nut on the top of the shock and on the back of the irs. Repeat steps for other side then repeat in reverse on both sides.:beer:
this made me laugh and brought back some good memories of bleeding hands!

Users who are viewing this thread