Shipping Tires

Joey8

Established Member
Okay guys let me ask you if this sounds "kosher" to you.

I am selling my brembo wheels and tires. This guy gets in contact with me on the mustang source and we worked out the deal. 800 and we split shipping which is fine.

He said to ship the tires to his contact at discount tire who will basically act as a middle man. Discount tire guy has the check for 860 (800 + half of shipping) and when the tires get there he looks at them make sure everything is okay (which it is) then sends me the check.

The guy who I'm dealing with sent me a picture of the receipt of the certified check.

Have any of you guys heard of this before or did i just get scammed out of brembo wheels and tires. They actually aren't getting shipped out until monday after 5 so there is still time to I guess not have them shipped. I am going to call the guy at discount tire to make sure he has the check and is aware of anything.

The guy always answers my e-mails in a timely manner. What is your guys gut feeling on this?

paintballpyro1

Established Member
sounds like a scam waiting to happen. I would be hesitant on the deal but thats just me. I used to work at discount and we got in alot of tires on a daily basis but we would never let a customer ship their tires to our store to inspect.

Joey8

Established Member
sounds like a scam waiting to happen. I would be hesitant on the deal but thats just me. I used to work at discount and we got in alot of tires on a daily basis but we would never let a customer ship their tires to our store to inspect.

Interesting. I'm going to call the guy at discount tire to see how legit it is as well as request the guys number who i've been e-mailing.

What has me puzzled is that he showed me a receipt of the certified check made out to me for 860 from pnc and that looked legit.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
yea but you can fake certified checks, i mean if the guy is telling the truth and the guy at discount has the check whats stopping him from saying well they arent in good of shape so im not gonna send you the check? your at the mercy of the buyer to decide what he is willing to give you at that point.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
i would just be careful as there has been alot of scammers lately. I would def call the guy at discount tire tmw and speak to the guy as you said to make sure he knows even whats going on and that he does have your address once the stuff comes in

Kiohtee

Established Member
I don't really have anything to contribute here I don't guess, just wanted to reassure you that in today's times there's no such thing as too much CYA/protection.

Good luck OP!

gtmustang00

Established Member
Nothing leaves until item is paid for (aka cash is in my hand). That's how I do it. Never had trouble not getting paid!

Joey8

Established Member
Yeah good points guys. Discount tire will be getting a call like i said. If anything is fishy i am running over to fedex and will have them not move the tires plain and simple until i have some sort of cash in hand.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Nothing leaves until item is paid for (aka cash is in my hand). That's how I do it. Never had trouble not getting paid!

this. unless the buyer is a well known and respected member on that forum id be leary. guy at DT could be his buddy. says the tires are meh and then he's trying to talk you down to a lower price. "could be" of course. could also be a legit guy. hard to say. its an odd deal. who has more to lose here??

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Yeah good points guys. Discount tire will be getting a call like i said. If anything is fishy i am running over to fedex and will have them not move the tires plain and simple until i have some sort of cash in hand.
I'd be running over there the second you know they are open. I'd rather repay the 60 than be out the 800.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the correct answer to your dilemma is not only NO but oh HELL NO! too many things don't add up. But a few points:

1. why didn't he clear the use of the tire guy with you FIRST
2. As has been stated you can print out a certified check on your printer. you haven't a clue if that check is real or not and neither does the tire guy.
3. why are the tires over at fedex? you haven't confirmed a damn thing yet.
4.if you get scammed and lose your shit. don't come crying here expecting help. you play stupid games you get stupid prizes. you are in the middle of a VERY stupid game. hope it works out for you

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
i always wonder WHY people are so willing to jump through hoops to make a buck / get an item.

if the deal is even a little bit fishy, NO DEAL. you deal with a person that does the transaction the way you want/is not unusual, not someone that makes you do something that seems odd to get the payment / item.

Joey8

Established Member
i called chris at discount tire and was fully aware of what was going on. The guy who is receving the tires gave me his number so i am in full contact with him. He said he is having them shipped to DT because they are mounting them there on his car. If anything goes wrong I am going to put him on BLAST until i get my money. I should have thought this through a bit more, i'll admit that. Only time will tell if I made the right decision.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
everything ive sold online i sent COD with a secured payment and never had a problem. you can also insure what you ship.yes,it will cost more but youre covered. if the buyer doesnt cooperate tough shit for them.

but,this seems like a legit person youre dealing with.

Joey8

Established Member
I feel like if he was trying to screw me he would have not been in this good of contact with me. He wouldn;t have provided his phone number and such. But then again he could just be doing that until he gets what he wants. Hoping for the best!

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I feel like if he was trying to screw me he would have not been in this good of contact with me. He wouldn;t have provided his phone number and such. But then again he could just be doing that until he gets what he wants. Hoping for the best!

I would be in good contact until I screw you... Burner phones, fake emails, it's all pretty easy to do. BUT.. The majority of people are good, and I would like to see the % of good online/Craigslist transactions to bad..

YJSONLY

Established Member
i called chris at discount tire and was fully aware of what was going on. The guy who is receving the tires gave me his number so i am in full contact with him. He said he is having them shipped to DT because they are mounting them there on his car. If anything goes wrong I am going to put him on BLAST until i get my money. I should have thought this through a bit more, i'll admit that. Only time will tell if I made the right decision.

Did you google discount tire phone number and call Chris or did you call the number that the buyer gave you thinking it was "Chris" @ discount tire??

Users who are viewing this thread