Shipping Tires

railroad

Established Member
Got an estimate to ship two 20 inch tires, 11.8 lbs each from central Alabama to Mid south Texas, $160.00 UPS. I asked every question I could think of to see if there was a mis calculation, to no avail. The dimensions came out 28 x 24 inches. I know corp rates are better, but how does anyone ship bulk at those rates? What am I missing out on?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Got an estimate to ship two 20 inch tires, 11.8 lbs each from central Alabama to Mid south Texas, $160.00 UPS. I asked every question I could think of to see if there was a mis calculation, to no avail. The dimensions came out 28 x 24 inches. I know corp rates are better, but how does anyone ship bulk at those rates? What am I missing out on?

that's highway robbery. i can only assume its from the UPS store which are franchises. they have to charge you the standard shipping rate but then they rob you blind on insurance fees which they can set. (so ive been told).

go to a fedex office store. theyre all corp owned and will not overcharge you. you dont even have to box them. just strap them together really well. they can slap a label on one of the tires. shipping together, even from NY to LA it would maybe cost $50 or so.

edit: from AL to TX it should be quite a bit less $ too.

EB85

Established Member
They are ripping you off and BAD. Like Steve^^^said, if it's two, band them together really tightly and they should be able to ship as one. If you want extra protection, cut out some cardboard discs and use it over the open areas. From TX to AL shouldn't be expensive at all.

nxhappy

Established Member
forward air, put them on a pallet and ship away

railroad

Established Member
Thanks guys. I was dumb founded. The franchise deal is probably what was going on. I thought, I had bought tires before and shipping was $25. I will see if I can do better with the home office or Fedx.

D2Fresh16

Established Member
I will never ever ship tires again in my life. I sold a old pair of 295 KDW2's a few years back, shipped them out to the buyer and thought I was done. I got an email or phone call I forget which from UPS about a bill adjustment. They charged me extra for: The tires not being in boxes (I've ordered tires from tirerack.com and never once have they been in a box), oversized package, and some other b/s price adjustment. It ended up being around $150 to ship, meanwhile I had charged the buyer about $50.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I will never ever ship tires again in my life. I sold a old pair of 295 KDW2's a few years back, shipped them out to the buyer and thought I was done. I got an email or phone call I forget which from UPS about a bill adjustment. They charged me extra for: The tires not being in boxes (I've ordered tires from tirerack.com and never once have they been in a box), oversized package, and some other b/s price adjustment. It ended up being around $150 to ship, meanwhile I had charged the buyer about $50.

yeah that can happen if theyre "irregular packaging". ie not in a box. cant say for sure. ive done it before but i also dont get itemized billing. i just get a fat bill every month. they have told me before that they may make price adjustments if need be at the hub, without notifying me. so to play it safe, ship it in a box that is just big enough to fit it in. then strap the two boxes together really well. Tire Rack ships probably $1 million a week. they probably pay $10 to ship a tire. seriously.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

The last time I shipped tires through USPS (May of this year), it cost $80 for (2) 20" tires going from Ohio to Washington.

I think your tire weight is a little off as standard 285/35/20 tires will weigh around 30 lbs. each.

CPgobBV.jpg

Last edited:

10splaya22

Established Member

Are you shipping bike tires? They weigh much more than 11.8 lbs. More like 30. Go to Fedex and sign up for a free account and it will be much cheaper. I just shipped a set of wheels and tires (25x25x11 @52 lbs each) from VA to GA and it was only $100.

EB85

Established Member
The last time I shipped tires through USPS (May of this year), it cost $80 for (2) 20" tires going from Ohio to Washington.

I think your tire weight is a little off as standard 285/35/20 tires will weigh around 30 lbs. each.

CPgobBV.jpg

^^^This is how to ship tires. When I ran a $70k/month eBay store, we changed from UPS to FedEx because of how UPS does extra charges. Every month we were seeing additional charges for the irregular packaging BS.

railroad

Established Member
On the weight, I was reading their scales, read 11.8. It must have been kiios, which would be about 26+ lbs.
My bad. Shipping killed the sale. All the replies sound right. Will do some calling today. Thanks for the tips and advise.

Users who are viewing this thread