Shipping Cars - Who's done it??

JaysGreenLX

"Ugh Jerks"
Established Member
I found a car that I have been looking for, however, it is in a dealership about 8 hours away.

Who has had a car shipped a great distance on a flat bed before? and how much did it cost?

I would like to have and idea of what to expect when the dealer calls me back tomorrow.

Thanks.

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
My dad owns a trucking company and we haul cars. Singles are hard to get moved and usually expensive, ecspecially back east. You might be better off just getting it yourself, But if your patient a company will eventually get it.

There is an internet site where you can post cars that need moved and companies will check on there if they have open spots on a truck. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
I shipped a '68 Firebird from St. Paul to Seattle this last winter in an enclosed carrier. If I remember correctly, it cost me around $1,300-$1,400 and only took 3 days (husband/wife driving team)! The enclosed carrier I thought was well worth the extra money considering the car went across multiple mountain passes during winter, it does however cost about twice as much.

getusum

idiot inside
Established Member
I bought a Cobra today from New York, A freind of a freind is there now with his car hauler and he will be bringing me the car Friday in an enclosed trailer. It cost me $1550.00. It seems like alot but it is 1359 miles away. Im located right outside of New Orleans

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Last January I received mine from Spokane Washington to West Virginia. Cost $1,500.00 enclosed. Idiot driver took car to VIRGINIA and had to find someone to bring it on a rollback to me from 5 hours away. Said he did not feel like going an hour out of the way to my house per haulage agreement. Just over 2400 miles from there to here and then driver took it an extra 250 - 300 miles out of the way. Overall it took 30 days to the day to get it. Left dealership on December 18th and arrived at my house on Jan. 18th. Couple of small scratches and a small place in leather that they would not cover. The company is Dependable Auto Transport. Nationwide company but I would stay away from them at all possible.

BlakHrse95

Established Member
Fly/drive and get it. A buddy just drove his recently purchased M3 back to San Diego fro Houston...25 hours. 8 hours is nothing. If not, you will have to wait til a truck is heading your way, or pay out of the ass. $1000 +/- or 8 hours :shrug:

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
Find a large carrier and they will give you a good break, I bought my Cobra from Norfolk, VA shipped to FT. Lauderdale , FL dealership charged me $500. Usually alot of dealerships charge a fee of $500-600, unless its going cross country.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
A little more info for you. This is who I used, A+ service from the company headquarters and the driver. The driver actually went out of his way to drop my car off first because I was in a time crunch and then doubled back to deliver another car. This company, as most auto transport companies are, is a broker that can find you the closest truck. Good luck.

Instant Auto Transport
833 Mistletoe Lane Suite A1
Redding, CA 96002
1-800-462-8102
www.instantautotransport.com

JaysGreenLX

"Ugh Jerks"
Established Member
The only issue with me driving down and picking up the car is, I have a trade in and I could trade it in at the dealership 8 hours away, but I would have to be sure that they are going to give me the money that I am getting from my dealership.

Also a concern about driving home is, I won't be able to do a lot of highway driving. Break in period says to vary the RPMs so highway driving is kind of out of the question. Thats turns an 8 hour drive into 10, 11, 12 hours?? if I am going back roads.

Trmin8r

Established Member
lightninmike said:
only 8 hrs... i would just go and get it
but i drive for a living so 8 hrs is a short day

That's what I have done about 6 times. Being in North Dakota, we don't have a large selection around here, and I have bought many cars on eBay. I have had them shipped from TX and PA, and I also shipped one to FL. The one I shipped was through B&K enterprises. They shipped door to door for about $800. (Nobody comes to North Dakota.) They are Robert and Karen Yourga. 605-351-1419. Based out of Florida and the Midwest

frankin

Established Member
JaysGreenLX said:
I found a car that I have been looking for, however, it is in a dealership about 8 hours away.

Who has had a car shipped a great distance on a flat bed before? and how much did it cost?

I would like to have and idea of what to expect when the dealer calls me back tomorrow.

Thanks.

I picked mine up in IL. Flew up from FL and drove it back. I felt a lot safer and saved a heap of money by doing it that way

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
Whatever you do, dont deal with a broker. We have so many problems with them. They always promise the customer a car will be somewhere even though we told them different. It is much better to just deal with the company. And most offen the trucks are full at least 2 weeks in advance so dont expect miracles.

Shipping new cars is tough because it is so easy to damage them, Make sure the dealership that you bought the car from puts a cover over the seat(steering wheel helps also-dirty hands) and the car should be fine.

I hauled a benz that was supposedly worth 200,000 grand and a whole load of muscle cars that came out over a million $ once, That sucked ass. One was a 69 428 SCJ mach, and a SS396 Chevell, all were mint.

93tealcoupe

Established Member
Bought my DSG 03 in june had it shipped in an enclosed trailer from Nesbraska to Massachusetts for like $1200, got here in perfect shape looks insane really happy. the only downside to shipping a car is finding someone who can pick it up without lieing to you when they can actually pick it up. these companies that ship vehicles will tell you and promise you they can pick it up the next day just to get your business when in all actual it's more like 2 weeks. other than that it was worth it especially when it comes to finding a low mileage (1,ooo miles) 03 cobra. :rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread