Shipping car off

airmanb2b

Established Member
Just got a little sick to my stomach. Had to drop paperwork off at the processing center. Car is getting dropped off on the 23rd for its long trip to North Carolina. Any tips on dummy proofing the car? Body damage is always possible. I'm more concerned with hidden engine/drivetrain damage. Recording before mileage for sure. Thinking about hooking up the tuner and dropping the idle and drive rev limiters down.

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
My advice: you can trust a company to do their job. If they don't you make an insurance claim. Just drop the car off and don't worry about it. But I would pay for covered transportation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
-20* global timing adjustment in addition to rev limiter, if you have access.

airmanb2b

Established Member
It's American auto logistics. Company that ships al military autos. Will be going by boat from here to Washington. My cobra made it up here in 06 with only a scratch.

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
I'm in the military too and have shipped cars overseas same company. Never had an issue and if anything they have a better insurance policy than civi transports due to govt backing. It's just a car. Relax and let them do their job. Good luck at your new duty location.

Btw I grew up in AK, and I guarantee you 6 months of driving those roads in a Shelby has more likelihood of serious harm than that transport. Only thing I would worry about is my battery due to the duration of transport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I wouldn't worry too much bro. Just put a good coat of sealant or wax on her, make sure you clean out the inside real thorough and lock her up tight so no critters can get in there. Other than that, your worry is more damaging to you in stress than the transport company will do to your whip.
IF somehow you end up in the small percentage that experiences damage, don't accept anything, sign anything or agree to anything without getting a few repair quotes and take plenty of photos. I'm sure though, that no government contract company is going to take a chance losing a contract with the Federal government over a joy ride in a GT500 or failing to make good on repairing a dent or a ding.

Most importantly, welcome back to civilization bro! Alaska has to be cool to visit and all, but living there is for a special person and I aint him.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Actually, now that I think about it; can't you have it shipped to Washington state and then drive it home? That would be one hell of a road trip, that's my kind of memory maker!

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Wont tell my horror story with pics. See if you can get it shipped in a container. I know if the vehicle is over sized they ship it in a container for a 100 bucks more or so. Check and see. Definitely will give you peace of mind.

bull3441

Established Member
Don't drop the rev limiter. Last thing you want is the car bouncing off the limiter. If you're really concerned drop the timing to like 5*. If the car is lowered make sure they know and have ramps if needed.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Nothing wrong with tapping the rev limiter. It's not healthy to over-rev the engine, but you can bounce off the limiter at 3500 all day long and not cause a problem. The rev limiter does not cause a lean condition like many people think. It cuts fuel, it doesn't reduce it. You can't go lean without any fuel at all.

airmanb2b

Established Member
I feel ya. I seem to tap the rev limiter at least once a week. Yes, civilization will be awesome. FREE SHIPPING! Probably could have a TVS a long time ago for all the cash I have in shipping charges.

Users who are viewing this thread