Shims, hangers, shock extenders, and shackles

Fernie_SVT

Established Member
Hello everyone, just needed some advice, I've looked everywhere but I can't seem to find something that's true and accurate. In front of me I have 2 inch shackles and 2 inch hangers, a total of a 4 inch drop on the rear. The part that's confusing me is if I'm going to need shims? Either new ones? Remove them or to reverse them? And will I need shock extenders? Thank you for your time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Turomanator

it is best to measure the angels once you swap the shackles and hangers. On my 02 Harley when I did shackles and hangers I did it all and set the truck down on the ground. I measured the pinion angle and adjusted it with the correct size shim to get me where I wanted it. I had to use a 6 degree shim. But you won’t know exactly till you do it.

Fernie_SVT

Established Member
it is best to measure the angels once you swap the shackles and hangers. On my 02 Harley when I did shackles and hangers I did it all and set the truck down on the ground. I measured the pinion angle and adjusted it with the correct size shim to get me where I wanted it. I had to use a 6 degree shim. But you won’t know exactly till you do it.
Okay, I'll start working on it! How exactly can I find the measurement?

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Turomanator

Okay, I'll start working on it! How exactly can I find the measurement?

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

When I did it I measured with a degree wheel on the side of the pinion. There is a flat peace that sticks out. Then I measured the angle from the drive line. At first the pinion and the drive line were pointed up and that is how you break your drive line on acceleration. So I opted to have it point 1-2 degrees downwards so on acceleration when the diff rotates it will get me to the 0-1 degree which I read was best. I have been running it like this for about two years. Dailying on drag radials and multiple times down the track. Setting up the pinion angle can get very confusing. Trying looking on google on how to set pinion angle. I like to always add lightnignrodder and the end of every search so I can see what people from lightningrodder.com have done.

Dusten

Established Member
For the statement on shocks, your stock ones will be to long, but you can measure and order shocks from a vendor like viking shocks

Users who are viewing this thread