Shimmy?

03blackvert

Established Member
I've noticed if the car sits in the garage for a few days when I first take it out there is a definate shimmy (eg, left to right) movement in the steering wheel. I don't notice any tracking problems, and if I take my hands off the wheel I don't feel any other vibrations in the car. At first I thought this was just a tires ever-so-slightly flat-spotting while sitting issue, since it seemed to get better after 2-5 miles and there was some heat in the tires.

Well, I've been paying more and more attention to this problem since it annoys me, and it's clear the vibration is still there when the tires are good and warm. The wierd thing is when the tires are cold it does it more at slower speeds, after they are warm I notice it more at higher speeds. Again, no tracking or vibration, just a very slight back and forth motion in the steering wheel.

Seems to me this could be bum tires, or bad alignment (in toe in, in particular). I suppose it could also be normal, because it is really minor. Thoughts and opinions?
:shrug:

97whitecobra

Established Member
Stock tires? My G force KD's are like that after a 1 or 2 day sit also. yeah its irritating too. goes away after 3 to 4 miles.

SC457A

Established Member
how long did the car sit on dealership lot? can flat spot tires bad.. only cure is to btich enough and they will get you new tires...

least they do at my store...

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
I have the same problem. It has been back to the dealer (its there now) three times. They balanced the wheel and even replaced a tire they found out of round. I had the problem with the stock wheels and no different with the chrome wheels. I really think GOODFxxKing Year sell ford seconds of the F1

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Blue
I really think GOODFxxKing Year sell ford seconds of the F1

as I've previously posted, my right pull disappeared after I replaced the stock F1's

03blackvert

Established Member
I picked it up the day it came in (order), so no sitting on the lot problem.

I guess this is just normal, I'm going to ignore it until I get better tires.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
I have the same damned thing.... I thought I was going nuts. I thought it was out of alignment or something....but I guess not if others are having the problem as well. I really don't want to foot the bill for another set of tires..

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
I've left my car for a couple weeks sitting while on vacation and I've noticed this...Its gone away for me...I attribute it to flat spots on the tires...

-pete

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I think it is the tires. I brought mine in a while back for a pull to the right and shimmy. All 4 wheels were out of alignment AND out of balance.

The problem was gone, but then last week I felt it a little bit again, and today it was shaking like crazy. It only happens between 40 - 60MPH. Shakes the worst at 40 - 50MPH in any gear, and out of gear.

Taking it in Thursday morning.

Mike

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Well I figure if they cannot fix it, I'll just store the car for the winter on those tires and keep them as my "storage flat spot tires" and put the NITTOS on when I am ready to really use it again.

Mike

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
There's some Nitto's they review in the new Mustangs and Fast Fords mag .. check it out ... it's in the car, otherwise I'd tell you right now

Users who are viewing this thread