Shifting ?

SVTlover

Ur anger is my power
Established Member
When i am driveing normal would it be safe to take RPM a little higher and skip a gear 2 to 4 , 4 to 6? Or can it hurt the gear box? Thx for the input.

stlboarder

Established Member
No... but only on transmissions with syncros. The old transmissions without them will not work. Why would u want to skip a gear though? Just wondering.

SVTlover

Ur anger is my power
Established Member
I was out driving today noticed how little the rpm range on all the gear are so close. Just in one of the moods i didnt feel like 1st 2 sec 2nd 2 sec 3rd 2sec 4th 2 sec 5th 2 sec I thought i rev it up a little go to 3rd take it to about 3k take it to 5th. Kinda a stupid question just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to hurt anything. Thx for the replys

NBMss346

Established Member
Shouldn't hurt anything. My car had Computer Aided Gear Selection for a while (but I got rid of it FAST)

03CrazyHorse

Just a GT with stickers..
Established Member
i do that when getting on the the highway also, never thought anything of it

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobrablack
Why would you want to when just normal driving?? I go from 2nd to 5th for those "fashionable" interstate entrances sometimes.

Exactlly!!

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by SVTlover
When i am driveing normal would it be safe to take RPM a little higher and skip a gear 2 to 4 , 4 to 6? Or can it hurt the gear box? Thx for the input.

unless you're going down hill, what's the point?:??: No flame, just curious...

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Re: Re: Shifting ?

Originally posted by SVTHorsnake
unless you're going down hill, what's the point?:??: No flame, just curious...

Why row through the gears when you only bring it up about 1k worth of RPMS(if that) then shift to the next gear. Get kind of annoying especially if you are in stoplight traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread