Shifting problems

lww18

Josh
Established Member
This is probably a rookie question but when I shift from first to second under high RPMs the shift is never easy - there is always grinding and sometimes you just cant shift to second unless you let off it.

I read the SN95 common issues sticky and I just wanted to make sure:

I think its a bent/ruined shift fork from the previous owner. My question is would buying and installing this:

B&M 45070 - B&M Pro Ripper Shifters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

B&M 45070 short throw shifter.

solve my problem?

Thanks for any help.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
A lot of guys find the t-45 doesn't like a high rpm shift to second, myself included. I've changed the fluid as per manual (NOT synthetic) and added some friction modifier and it helped a bit. Replacing the stock shifter with an MGW made it nicer to drive but did nothing for the second gear issue.
My next step is to add some lucas transmission treatment. The general concensus is that everyones does it, some more than others. I'll either rebuild mine in the future or put a buddy's (I've got dibs when he upgrades) tranny in.

Cheers
Mike

Cobranator

Established Member
This is probably a rookie question but when I shift from first to second under high RPMs the shift is never easy - there is always grinding and sometimes you just cant shift to second unless you let off it.

I read the SN95 common issues sticky and I just wanted to make sure:

I think its a bent/ruined shift fork from the previous owner. My question is would buying and installing this:

B&M 45070 - B&M Pro Ripper Shifters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

B&M 45070 short throw shifter.

solve my problem?

If you think you may have a bent shift fork no shifter of any kind is going to solve your problem the damage is already done and you're going to have to fix it with a new shift fork. Had the previous owner installed an aftermarket shifter before banging gears he would have prevented the problem.

My friend with his 96 Cobra has the same problem as you do becasue he failed to install a better shifter with stop bolts while my Cobra does not grind going into 2nd even at high rpm's. I took the precaution of installing a Hurst billet shifter and while the T45 is and has always been on the notchy side I have no problems shifting to this day.

Don't mean to be too discouraging but I think you're going to have to spend some money on new internal parts for the tranny.:rockon::beer:

greenscobie86

Established Member
Mine does this too.. After I installed my B&M Ripper it didn't help the problem..

When I do my clutch in the next couple of months I will make sure to use brand new fluid... Should help out some...

Users who are viewing this thread