Shifting Problems???

MustangSVT96

Established Member
Ok well I have a 96 cobra with 58k miles, I had the imrc code (p1519) but its been gone for a while after some seafoam. But I noticed when i get on my car from a dig it will peel out like a beast then ill shift into second gear and the rpms drop to like 3k-4k and its like it has to restart building power up idk what the problem is. I just changed the plugs, wires, and coil packs. My clutch was not installed properly so its pretty much burnt out so I am replacing that, but other wise the car doesn't chirp 2nd ever anymore and feels like i lose power BIG time. Any ideas? Can you guys post up some pics of your cars shifting gears.

My mods are... Msd 8.5 wires, msd coil packs, o/r mac prochamber, weld in flow master 40's, steeda tri-ax shifter, tokico shocks and struts, h&r ss lowering springs, mm caster/camber plates, and my rear tires are 18"x10" summer performance tires...

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
besides possibly being the IMRC's again, if you have stock 3:27s thats why ahaha..those gears are dogs in our cars, swap them out to a set of 3:55s or 3:73s...

MustangSVT96

Established Member
but whats the cause of the drastic rpm drop when i floor my car 2nd gear drops and has to regain power I dont understand that. I dont see how that is normal lol

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Then I would say that is your problem. Ford used them for economy not performance. If it is a DD you may want to consider 4:10's or 4:30's. After five years 4:10's are still one of my favorite mods.

MustangSVT96

Established Member
If i drop the clutch and peel out when i shift into 2nd theres nothing my car stops and goes to like 3k rpms and starts to pick up speed.

Like in this video idk whats done to his car but mine is beast in 1st then nothing in 2nd gear.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dJ7rnT87Zg"]YouTube- 96 Mustang Cobra Peelout[/nomedia]

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
So your saying due to the stock gears my car should go from 6800rpms in 1st to 3k when shifted into 2nd gear?

that sounds kind of drastic. unless your talking about spinning the tires in 1st gear. if the tires arent spinning and the rpms are at redline it shouldnt go down to 3k rpms when you hit 2nd. but it sounds to me like your spinning the tires in 1st and when you hit 2nd the tires catch and the car doesnt have the power to spin 2nd. if so i guess you need gears :shrug:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Could it have anything to do with that msd crap if it's not related to the clutch? I've never seen those work right on anything other than a 5.0.

Last edited:

MustangSVT96

Established Member
i just dont want to put money into gears and have this problem still. I wish i wasnt so damn anal about this car, I just want it to be perfect b4 i put a blower in it. But the way its going i'll have a forsale sign in it in 2 weeks:shrug:

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
i just dont want to put money into gears and have this problem still. I wish i wasnt so damn anal about this car, I just want it to be perfect b4 i put a blower in it. But the way its going i'll have a forsale sign in it in 2 weeks:shrug:

if you put a supercharger on it you'll need gears anyway to get the most out of it. unless you go turbo.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
well I know this sounds mean but how good of a driver are you, if you shift slow and pull your foot completely off the gas its gonna fall to say 4k rpm if you are shifting slow and the IMRC's are gummed up which I can assure you they are and need to be cleaned.

Users who are viewing this thread