Shifting issues?

Hourigan218

Established Member
Any of you guys that have the 13 having the 1-2 grind issues like the previous model yrs? I hope that was resolved

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Jamal stated those issues were resolved with the revised transmission and gearing work done.

08GTCS Stang

I Don't Give a Chainsaw!
Established Member
Any of you guys that have the 13 having the 1-2 grind issues like the previous model yrs? I hope that was resolved

Are you referring to the 11-12 GTs or GT500s? I never heard of any problems with the GT500s since they had a different transmission than the GTs do. GTs have the Getrag MT-82, GT500s have the Tremec TR-6060. I'm pretty sure the '13 GT500s didn't swap over to the Getrags, which were the ones causing all the problems.

BlownAway03

Established Member
Are you referring to the 11-12 GTs or GT500s? I never heard of any problems with the GT500s since they had a different transmission than the GTs do. GTs have the Getrag MT-82, GT500s have the Tremec TR-6060. I'm pretty sure the '13 GT500s didn't swap over to the Getrags, which were the ones causing all the problems.

The TR-6060 also did have issues in the previous year GT500s. I think it was mainly grinding on the 1-2 shift when cold. Ford issued TSB's for the issues. It was reported in the Z06 too.

Hourigan218

Established Member
It was the GT500 that had the grind. I'm aware of the GT's issue but some of the shelbys had the grind as well. I'm glad to hear that it has been taken care of.

speednutz

Established Member

I drove the 13 and let me tell ya, it's smoooooth compared to the 12, at least my 12.

My 12 was almost like shifting without using the clutch, this thing you can shift with one finger.

Seriously, I told the guy who owns the car " Watch This" as I used my Index finger to shift it.

Zeroescence

Established Member
Little longer shift throw than the 10-12 GT500's but way smoother. I compare it almost to a gated shifter. Tight, slightly notchy (I like the notchy) but over all amazing.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
normal shifting is fine. Try shifting without lifting and tell me if you think it's easy. When i shifted my 03 cobra people thought i had an auto. I can't shift this MOFO to save my life. I think i hit it once so far and scratched second on the way. New shifter on the way monday. This thing is way to sloppy for me.

Zeroescence

Established Member
normal shifting is fine. Try shifting without lifting and tell me if you think it's easy. When i shifted my 03 cobra people thought i had an auto. I can't shift this MOFO to save my life. I think i hit it once so far and scratched second on the way. New shifter on the way monday. This thing is way to sloppy for me.

You must be the one owner with problems. I have been bangin gears in it since I drove it off the lot. No issues.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
It just feels sloppy and loose to me. Every gt500 and gt ive felt feels worse than mine. Its just that this is the first hydraulic clutch and shifter (not directly bolted to trans) ive driven. Im used to that solid stop. These stock shifters are loose when in gear. Have lots if play

speednutz

Established Member
It just feels sloppy and loose to me. Every gt500 and gt ive felt feels worse than mine. Its just that this is the first hydraulic clutch and shifter (not directly bolted to trans) ive driven. Im used to that solid stop. These stock shifters are loose when in gear. Have lots if play

The 13 I drove was not loose or sloppy.
It was the best I've ever driven, totally awesome !

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Ok guys........put the car in gear. Can you wiggle the shifter around in a circle a little? Or is it locked firmly in place. I've been in 2 different 2013's now and the shifters are the same. Can you put the car in gear and still push the shifter past that limit a little bit???

YES YOU CAN. That is a sloppy shifter. Sit in a terminator with an aftermarket shifter. When it locks in gear that SOB is barely moving at all and def isn't going past the shift end point.

So please stop saying these shifters aren't sloppy and full of play. Damn near every stock shifter is hence the aftermarket availability. It is much easier to powershift an aftermarket shifter. If it wasn't they wouldn't exist.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
^ mine doesn't do that.

So no- I don't believe that the 13 has a generally sloppy shifter. Now my car has over 4000 miles on it- and it's just as smooth as it was the day I drove it home.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Ok Normal driving is WONDERFULLLLL.

Next time you come to a stop and shut the car off....put it in gear and push harder. Does the shifter sit perfectly still? It is IMPOSSIBLE. It has bushings and is loose from factory to prevent interior noise. My opinion...it's not a dead stop when you're in gear. People have different idea about banging gears.

You can't hear the blower fall off between shifts

http://youtu.be/OYctWJHMDxQ

This is banging gears.

http://youtu.be/1cC-Nyg7ZHE

Last edited:

BOD89LX

Established Member
I didnt notice how sloppy the shifter was in my 2012 until I took out the MGW to trade the car in and it felt like a truck and like Omin. said it is sloppy. Ford made the throw longer to try and slow down the shift so it wouldnt grind. My 2012 would only do it after they rebuilt the trans when I had drag radials on as that was the only time you could go WOT in 1st and shift fast to 2nd and if I didnt pause for a split second it would grind and lock you out. That was one of the reasons I traded up to the 2013.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

I'm just saying- you keep talking about how horrible the shifter is- I think it's just your car, and should get it checked out.

I've owned 17 manual transmission cars in the last 12 years, 6 of which were cobras, 1 was a mustang GT- all except for 1 cobra, my 08- ha short shifters. This one is just as good as any of those short shifter cars- no play- no slop- just smooth and a succinct.

I would have yours checked out- there maybe more of an issue than you are aware

Users who are viewing this thread