Shifting issues.

JimD

Established Member
So I went to the dealer and asked them to check the shifting issues under hard acceleration where the you get locked out and can't get it into gear. I drive it moderately and don't beat it but like to ring it out every once in a while. Well, they said I need a new transmission after their "expert" transmission guy took it for a ride. I have the extended warranty so it will get replaced at Fords expense but that seems like a radical fix. I don't have any issues under normal acceleration. Thoughts? Get a second opinion or just get a new trans put in?

noldevin

Established Member
Is it grinding? Which gear(s) are locking you out? Is the clutch pedal sticking?
Getting locked out at high rpm is somewhat common. If it's not grinding and it goes into gear with the car off or at lower RPM, it's most likely clutch or shifter related.
Most go for the MGW race spec to fix 3rd and 4th gear lockout and generally vastly improve shift feel and quality.
A stainless clutch line and DOT4 fluid helps quite a bit with the clutch.

Of course, all of these things gives Ford an excuse not to touch your car. If they're gonna do it under warranty and the wait isn't too long, take the free trans and try to talk them into clutch too if its covered.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Funny you post this...I have had 39K miles trouble free with my MT-82, but this month it has just started to act up going into 4th under WOT (3-4shift). Do you have this issue with 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 or all of the above?

I do not NO-LIFT-SHIFT under WOT, slightly lift, then shift. I am guessing 3-4 synchro is probably going out, under normal driving I have no trouble at all and WOT shifting from 1-2, 2-3 is just fine. I was going to be doing a clutch soon anyways, might just crack open the box to look at the shift dogs and check 3-4 synchro. I have an extended warranty too, but only bought it because the finance guy lowered my interest rate another 2 points to do it, saved me 1800 bucks if the loan goes to term :D

I have no intentions of trying to warranty mine, A.) its probably my fault B.) I don't want to be down a month while the dealership clowns source parts.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Funny you post this...I have had 39K miles trouble free with my MT-82, but this month it has just started to act up going into 4th under WOT (3-4shift). Do you have this issue with 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 or all of the above?

I do not NO-LIFT-SHIFT under WOT, slightly lift, then shift. I am guessing 3-4 synchro is probably going out, under normal driving I have no trouble at all and WOT shifting from 1-2, 2-3 is just fine. I was going to be doing a clutch soon anyways, might just crack open the box to look at the shift dogs and check 3-4 synchro. I have an extended warranty too, but only bought it because the finance guy lowered my interest rate another 2 points to do it, saved me 1800 bucks if the loan goes to term :D

I have no intentions of trying to warranty mine, A.) its probably my fault B.) I don't want to be down a month while the dealership clowns source parts.

I took mine to the dealer before work, they had it for the day, I picked it up after work as the parts were on back order. I got a call 3 weeks later the parts came in, dropped it off on a Tuesday morning and picked it up the following Wednesday evening after work. It wasn't bad at all. They won't tear it apart if parts are not available.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I took mine to the dealer before work, they had it for the day, I picked it up after work as the parts were on back order. I got a call 3 weeks later the parts came in, dropped it off on a Tuesday morning and picked it up the following Wednesday evening after work. It wasn't bad at all. They won't tear it apart if parts are not available.

^^^That is not too bad all. My buddies car got stuck in 3rd, had it picked up and taken to DeMontrond Ford, but his situation was different since it really could not be driven and they had to wait on parts etc. The parts backlog seems to be the norm for these MT-82s.

JimD

Established Member

Only 17,000 on mine. It happens mostly 2nd to 3rd and sometimes 3rd to 4th. Might as well replace it on their dime. Always on WOT, never just normal driving.

LTD5.0

Established Member
If Ford is willing to replace your transmission you should take them up on it. I would definitely replace the clutch and hydraulic clutch line while it is torn apart. I just had my transmission rebuilt under warranty and replaced the clutch with an Exedy Mach 500 kit and Exedy lightened bullet flywheel from American Muscle. My car has never shifted this well. It used to grind or lock out second gear. Then it started to grind in third and fifth at any speed. Now it is smooth as butter!

Users who are viewing this thread