Shifting 1 -> 2 weird? "fuel econ"

jbur074

Established Member
so i just got my 5.0 with the standard transmission, i have just recently noticed when im accelerating from a stop, in first gear if i get to about 3k rpm my tach says " SHIFT 1->4 FOR FUEL ECON" and it seems like it actually locks me out of 2nd gear, i pull hard left and down and i feel it slide right into 4th? is this some type of fuel saving thing they installed and how do i turn it off? lol thanks

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Yes, it's called skipshift. You can read more about it in your owner's manual.

pohnjarker

Established Member
do a search on skip shifting and you'll find step by step instructions on how to disable it.

when that happens to me, i let it linger in neutral for about half a second, then it'll let me shift into second. i usually never have to deal with it anyways, i run it to around 4k cuz i like to hear my exhaust ;-)

jbur074

Established Member
do a search on skip shifting and you'll find step by step instructions on how to disable it.

when that happens to me, i let it linger in neutral for about half a second, then it'll let me shift into second. i usually never have to deal with it anyways, i run it to around 4k cuz i like to hear my exhaust ;-)

lol that would be nice if i had exhaust :'( ill do some research, thanks!

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
you can kinda feel it try to force you into 4th. thats when i take a quick pause as stated above and go my merry way into 2nd. Ill shift from 1-4 when i god damn feel like doing so :)

jbur074

Established Member
you can kinda feel it try to force you into 4th. thats when i take a quick pause as stated above and go my merry way into 2nd. Ill shift from 1-4 when i god damn feel like doing so :)

exactly. i have 3.31 gears (not for long hehe) so 4th gear at like 15 mph drops below 1k rpms, i feel like i gotta waste more gas just getting the thing to move. i have just been pausing, but im just going to unplug the sensor and not worry about it

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
I just saw Jay's how to, but does it not throw a code just disconnecting the skip shift solenoid without using a resistor?

Wonger

Established Member
Please someone, take a picture of the connector for me!! We make OEM wiring harnesses where I work and I would like to use the mating connectors for both sides of the connection as plugs to prevent any corrosion issues. Thanks, I'd be glad to provide some assistance to anyone who would also like some caps for these after I get a good look at the connectors.

lonegunman

Established Member
Go for the Ford racing tune...that's what i did...you also keep the 3/36 warranty and the difference in the way the car handles is great.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Go for the Ford racing tune...that's what i did...you also keep the 3/36 warranty and the difference in the way the car handles is great.

Does your car ping though? I've read numerous threads with people complaining about the car pinging with the FRPP Pro-Cal tune.

Users who are viewing this thread