Shifters?

BlownNstrokeD

Established Member
I was wandering if anyone had a Pro 5.0 shifter on their car and what they thought of it. I had one on an 02 mustang and loved it and was wandering what its like on the newer ones. Any input would be great thxs.

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
I took mine out, we actually had a problem with my clutch rather than the shifter but I found it too clunky, I loved the hurst I had, but went through a few defective ones although most people are happy with them.

I used the poly bushings from the hurst in an '07 stock shifter ( which is different that the '05) and that seems to work best so far.

BlownNstrokeD

Established Member
the shiftrite brace is so you don't have to replace the shifter ? So what benefits do you get from running it with an aftermarket shifter? I am still ignorant on the newer mustangs soo I am just curious.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
BlownNstrokeD said:
the shiftrite brace is so you don't have to replace the shifter ? So what benefits do you get from running it with an aftermarket shifter? I am still ignorant on the newer mustangs soo I am just curious.

The shift-rite brace is to keep the shifter and the transmission from coming out of alignment under high load (torque) situations. Because of the long arm the shifter doesn't move with the transmission when it shifts due to torque. Getting an aftermarket shifter only get's you better bushings, to fix this problem. The shift-rite brace ties the back of the shifter to the transmission along with the front. For $99, I thought it was worth it. And it is much easier to install if doing so while doing the shifter.

Last edited:

USA-1

Established Member
swoosh_stang said:
The shift-rite brace is to keep the shifter and the transmission from coming out of alignment under high load (torque) situations. Because of the long arm the shifter doesn't move with the transmission when it shifts due to torque. Getting an aftermarket shifter only get's you better bushings, to fix this problem. The shift-rite brace ties the back of the shifter to the transmission along with the front. For $99, I thought it was worth it. And it is much easier to install if doing so while doing the shifter.

Wow...didn't know that about the new Mustangs, thats not cool.

I can't imagine if my shifter on my T56 wasn't connected to the trans, when I slam through the gears the whole transmission torques over hard. And thats with Polyurethane mounts.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Well if you ask most 99-04 mustang owners, one of the biggest pet peeves is the shifter location. The new shifter design fixes the location. But it has it's own set of problems. Once I put the after market shifter on and the brace it is really tight and shifts great.

I'm definitely happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread