shifter questions for 06 GT

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
how come my shifter feels great when im casualy shifting... but whenever im shifting hard, the shifter feels like its snapping or breaking?? i really hate how it feels...the shifters from previous model gt's and cobras never felt like this..is the design that diffrent ?

i need to invest in a shifter. In my Cobra i had the tri-x, is that the best option for the s-197 GT ?? :read:

06GTO

Established Member
This is what you need to fix your problem.

http://secure-order-area.net/paulsh...page=800010&type=&frame=&cart_id=5291699_6638

A replacement shifter of course is a good idea as well but your problem is the brace that the shifter bolts into. When you get some type of chasis or body flex the longitudinal brace shifts left to right as it has nothing to stop it from rotating on its axis. This brace fixes that by adding an additional horizontal brace.

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
would i need to buy that if i get a short shifter ?? it says i wont need a replacment shifter but that piece only tightens the gears wont make them shorter right ??

06GTO

Established Member
You will still need a short throw if you want one, but that brace does fix the issue you said about weakness when you are banging gears.

I do not personally know what shifter is better in the 05+ but I have an MGW in my 03 cobra and love it.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I have the Hurst shifter with the PHP shift brace in mine and have no problems with it at all, I love it. I like the Vintage white knob too.

Note: maybe it's not required, but I did have to take the driveshaft loose to get the stock shofter out. I tried for an hour to figure out how to do it without removing the drive shaft.

Would be happy to answer any questions about my application.

Users who are viewing this thread