shifter or trans problem

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
I believe i have the MGW short throw in my 97. It came with the car. It doesnt happen all the time but pretty often. It has a problem going into 2nd, 4th and reverse. Especially reverse. It either has to be forced or it pops out. 1st and 4th are fine. I was wondering if this is a common problem with the shifter or did someone mess up on the install? Maybe syncrinizers going in trans? Its the first short throw Ive owned and what little experience Ive had with them this doesnt happen. Any ideas?

hitnrun

Established Member
I have never had that happen from a short shifter. Does it grind when you try to shift into them or when it pops out?

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
It pops out in reverse a lot or it'll grind almost everytime. I usually cut the car off then put it in. It works better that way. In 2nd & 4th mostly I have to muscle it in. Sometimes grinds but not often. This doesn't happen everytime, maybe 2 outta 5 times. I change gears usually at 2200-2400. It has 4.30s so that comes quickly. Sometimes I'll tach up a lil higher just to skip 2nd & 4th but I don't like to. The car has 106k on it now.

prototypepariah

Established Member
Sometimes mine won't go into reverse, or if it does it kind of grinds. I'll put it into 5th and then go to reverse. It never has popped out. Once in a while it will get stuck in reverse though.

Hope that helps a little.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Could be the synchros going bad. The only thing on the shifter that could cause it would be the stop pouts like mentioned above and that's an easy fix. Also might be time to put new fluid in the trans if u Havnt already.

Quick98Cobra

98 SVT Cobra Driver
Established Member
Could be the synchros going bad. The only thing on the shifter that could cause it would be the stop pouts like mentioned above and that's an easy fix. Also might be time to put new fluid in the trans if u Havnt already.

I agreed 100% try the easy fixes first like checking the shifter and changing the fluid.

SVT Rob

Established Member
Try pulling your clutch pedal up, see if it clicks. It almost sounds like it's not disengaging completely, which is why you have to muscle it in. As for popping out of gear, that's either your stops not adjusted correctly or a bent shift fork.

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
Pull the boot and look at the shifter. Make sure the stops didn't vibrate forward, or maybe a shifter bolt itself, and drop between the shift lever and shifter body...

Users who are viewing this thread