Shifter not centering

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Hey guys, acquired a new car and have a couple of questions and things to search up on. One is that the car has an MGW shifter in it, but it does not center from the 1/2 side. If you move it to 2nd and shift up to bring it to center it will stay unless you nudge it a bit.

What I'm wondering is, can anyone with knowledge comment on if there is anything inside the trans itself that would be causing it to not center, or is this job left to the shifter?

Also, the MGW only has about 500 miles on it. Any chance it needs to be broken in (have not had that experience in the past)?

Read that the reverse spring could have been put in by mistake, sound legit?

And just for the record, I am not bashing MGW in any way shape or form. Just trying to gain knowledge before I contact them and see what we can work out.

bubblehead93

Established Member
nothing to do with the transmission, the shifter centers itself when it is not in gear, something is broke inside the shifter (centering spring)... the shifter rail has a detent (much like the ball on the drive for a socket wrench) which engages "craters" for each gear as well as neutral (this is different than the big spring loaded ball folks mess with for the anti-venom mod)... so I'm pretty sure your problem in in the shifter...

Andy

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Hmm ok then. Sort of what I thought. I may try to take the shifter apart. Either way sounds like I'll contact MGW on Monday.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
mine was doing this so I replaced the shift to another one and it still did it. sold the transmission and was told a piece in the transmission was bent which was causing it...

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Ugh, that's not what i want to hear..

I will ass to though, it definitely feels like there is less resistance moving to the 1/2 side vs the 5/6. Like there is definitely something weaker on that side.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Talked to George at MGW today. He told me the spring colors So I could verify the correct ones were on the right sides (passenger=green, driver=silver). Unfortunately for my case they were correct. He did say the option exists to run the viper spring on the passenger side (which effects centering from the 1/2 side). I'm sort of torn because it's technically not fixing the root issue, which I am unsure of what it is at this point.

Regardless I wouldn't hesitate to order an MGW. All other options are inferior imo.

Noreast

Established Member
Mine does the same thing. Also an MGW shifter. 1/2 it "snaps" back but 5/6 side its kind of weak. Im going to check my springs later. Post up if you figure it out

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Yours sounds more normal. The spring that effects 5/6/R (driver side of shifter) is actually less stiff than the other side. I'd much rather have your issue lol

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Well finally a conclusion to this. MGW was super generous enough to send me a Viper spring to use on the passenger side of the shifter (affects centering from the 1/2 side). Swapped it in and the shifter now centers and feels exactly like it should! He did advise moving the spring I removed over to the other side to keep the feel a little closer but I didn't bother. Feels perfect and I can now shift with confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread