Shifter Knob

03CobraDude

Back in September I was running an Auto-X. Coming out of a turn I threw it in first, and eventually needed to shift to 2nd. During the shift I realized I was headed for a cone and swerved to avoid penalty. The car jerked and i twisted the shifter knob clockwise. Driving out the rest of the course with a twisted knob was a little annoying.

Today, there's still a problem with the knob. It is a little loose and can be twisted in either direction. However, it cannot be tightened enough to be on securely and look how it should.

The first Auto X event this year is coming up on the 28th and I really want to get this problem fixed before driving. Are there any suggestions of what course of action I should take?

Juruense

Banned
I would suggest an MGW shift knob. It also has a set screw and can be locked in any position. I have the cobra emblem one and I like it a lot.

mgripper.jpg

wudy

Established Member
Back in September I was running an Auto-X. Coming out of a turn I threw it in first, and eventually needed to shift to 2nd. During the shift I realized I was headed for a cone and swerved to avoid penalty. The car jerked and i twisted the shifter knob clockwise. Driving out the rest of the course with a twisted knob was a little annoying.

Today, there's still a problem with the knob. It is a little loose and can be twisted in either direction. However, it cannot be tightened enough to be on securely and look how it should.

The first Auto X event this year is coming up on the 28th and I really want to get this problem fixed before driving. Are there any suggestions of what course of action I should take?

I have the exact same problem. Whenever I power shift the knob turns in my hand. No matter how tight the knob is it still turns on a hard shift. I have yet to find a knob that I like. I do agree, that it does need a set screw to be secured properly.

02reaper

Established Member
I have the exact same problem. Whenever I power shift the knob turns in my hand. No matter how tight the knob is it still turns on a hard shift. I have yet to find a knob that I like. I do agree, that it does need a set screw to be secured properly.

I was in the same boat as you, then I got this knob and I love it.

Mustang Composite Race Knob

CobraKalas

Established Member
goto your local hardware store and find a nut that fits your shifter.
1. install nut
2. install shift knob
3. right fit? good, no? goto step 4
4. adjust nut.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
goto your local hardware store and find a nut that fits your shifter.
1. install nut
2. install shift knob
3. right fit? good, no? goto step 4
4. adjust nut.

That is what I did with the MGW shifter and the stock knob. Worked perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread