Shifter knob question

Hourigan218

Established Member
Hey guys sorry about this dumb question, but I just ordered a new shifter knob from the shelby store and was curious if anyone has done it? I noticed the factory knob has a extension and the new one does not, so the shifter will be lower by about an inch. Is this normal or am I missing something? I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

BrettR

Established Member
If I remember right I seen someone had heated the factory knob and pulled the spacer out and then put it on the new one. I can't remember where I seen this at though hope this helps. I think they had to use vice grips so if you try it make sure you tape it up or something to protect it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Slowponycar

Established Member
go to autozone or a place like that, pick up a strap wrench set for about $15-20, works like a charm. I gave the smaller one to my wife so she can open jars without me lol. breaks the locktite without harming original shifter. my boot hangs about a 1-1.5 inches below my new shifter. think they sell boot retainers but then you will have to remove the boot to get to it.
photo_zps2182a6d8.jpg

Hourigan218

Established Member
Thanks for the input. My problem is not removing the knob it's that the factory knob has the spacer built into it and the new one just comes with thread adapters for different shifters. So the knob will be about an inch shorter due to no spacer. So I guess it's either a shorty shifter or keep the factory one.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
So you just heated the spacer and removed the knob, then replaced the knob with the Shelby knob? If so how did you secure the knob to the spacer?

I ground down the knurled part of the spacer, leaving about 1/8" of the knurled section. Then tightened the knob on to the shifter on top of the spacer. The knob is tight enough that the spacer does not move. It feels and looks just like stock.

Torque king

Established Member
I went with the Shelby american knob as well. Left the hub off. I like the color match to my exterior. It's also about a third larger than stock. A very solid product and worth every penny.
8015926061_fbca73a5ce_m.jpg

8015941598_174357af08_m.jpg

Hourigan218

Established Member
I went with the Shelby american knob as well. Left the hub off. I like the color match to my exterior. It's also about a third larger than stock. A very solid product and worth every penny.
8015926061_fbca73a5ce_m.jpg

8015941598_174357af08_m.jpg

You don't mind the shorter feel of the shifter now? By the way looks great!! I'm just torn between using the shifter spacer or just using your setup. And again thanks guys for the input.

WAL

Established Member
Hey guys sorry about this dumb question, but I just ordered a new shifter knob from the shelby store and was curious if anyone has done it? I noticed the factory knob has a extension and the new one does not, so the shifter will be lower by about an inch. Is this normal or am I missing something? I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

Thanks for asking the question (not dumb at all), and thanks to everyone who took the time to provide the good answers. Very helpful........... :beer:

shelbysvt

Established Member
I am kind of confused with this because I've been looking to do this too. Can someone please explain the process of getting the shelby ball to work with the OEM stick (the polish piece attached to the ball, I don't know what that is called)?

Also if I were to get an MGW shifter would I be able to use the OEM polished piece without the boot looking all weird?

Hourigan218

Established Member
The polished part you refer to is all one price with the stock shifter knob. When you unscrew the knob it all comes off together, that is why I was asking this question of changing knobs as the " Shelby" knob has no spacer but will fit onto the stock shifter.

Rotarur

Loflyr
Established Member
Got a little project done today. I replaced the factory stick all together.
3epyhy7u.jpg

e8eveqeq.jpg

azu2ave3.jpg

I installed a GT500 fuel door from Shelby also, I am not sure I like it too much though, we shall see.
usymu9yh.jpg

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Got a little project done today. I replaced the factory stick all together.
3epyhy7u.jpg

e8eveqeq.jpg

azu2ave3.jpg

I installed a GT500 fuel door from Shelby also, I am not sure I like it too much though, we shall see.
usymu9yh.jpg

I really like those red touches. Nice :beer:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
That red POPS in a good way.

I like it alot.

I'd love to get some Grabber Blue coming through my interior as it's all black since I went stripe delete.

Users who are viewing this thread