Shifter Installed!

goinbyu

I intalled the Steeda Tri-ax shifter this weekend. What a piece of cake that was. The shift feels a little notchy compared to the OEM unit, but I like it. No slop.

I've heard that the 2-3 shift was the biggest complaint, but i've never had a problem with it. My problem shift always seemed to be the 4-5 shift. Anyway, it's all gone. Nice, short, precise throws. Thanks for everyone's input.

03DOHC,

I considered taking you up on your offer to help me out with the install, but after doing it myself I would've felt silly asking for help on this one.

My1stFord

Established Member
good 2 hear... mine's on the way now. How long was the install?

I know I know - everyone's told me this was the FIRST mod I should have done not one of the last. :)

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by ILL_SVT
I intalled the Steeda Tri-ax shifter this weekend. What a piece of cake that was. The shift feels a little notchy compared to the OEM unit, but I like it. No slop.

I've heard that the 2-3 shift was the biggest complaint, but i've never had a problem with it. My problem shift always seemed to be the 4-5 shift. Anyway, it's all gone. Nice, short, precise throws. Thanks for everyone's input.

03DOHC,

I considered taking you up on your offer to help me out with the install, but after doing it myself I would've felt silly asking for help on this one.
No biggie. Glad you like the mod! Now we have to get you to come out on one of our weekend activities!:-D

goinbyu

03DOHC, Just let me know when and where!

Acidus,

The noise is minimal. Certainly less than what I was expecting. With the radio on, it's not even noticeable.

My1stFord,

The install took me less than an hour and I had no idea what I was doing. The instructions that came with the shifter were idiot proof, which I appreciate.

Chris C

Established Member
Originally posted by ILL_SVT
03DOHC, Just let me know when and where!

Acidus,

The noise is minimal. Certainly less than what I was expecting. With the radio on, it's not even noticeable.

My1stFord,

The install took me less than an hour and I had no idea what I was doing. The instructions that came with the shifter were idiot proof, which I appreciate.

At the bottom of the instructions it says something about wiring a switch to bypass the reverse lock out silinoid (sp?) How did u guys go about doing thaT?

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
Kirban(Amazon)Shifter

Sonic 03,
I have a Kirban in my 03 along with the MGW handle and a Hurst T-Handle. I'm pleased with it.Shifts great, very little noise, good overall.
Guy

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Chris C
At the bottom of the instructions it says something about wiring a switch to bypass the reverse lock out silinoid (sp?) How did u guys go about doing thaT?
I was concerned about this too, but it's a non issue, that solenoid still gets 12 volts with the ignition on, which allows it to go into reverse, it has nothing to do with the shifter. The shifter doesn't change that at all, it just bumps into a stop that moves out of the way when the ignition is turned on.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
I was concerned about this too, but it's a non issue, that solenoid still gets 12 volts with the ignition on, which allows it to go into reverse, it has nothing to do with the shifter. The shifter doesn't change that at all, it just bumps into a stop that moves out of the way when the ignition is turned on.

Im waiting for my shifter, and this is the first time Im hearing about wires on a shifter install. So is this part of the installation really necessary? Am I risking damage to the tranny if I dont do this?? Please respond as Im one paranoid mofo!

BBriBro

Established Member
It's not part of the install, there is nothing to do, the solenoid is down in the tranny, it just prevents you from going into reverse without the ignition on, why I don't know. I don't even know why they mention it, because if you just change the shifter, it doesn't affect it in any way. (there are no wires on the shifter) I don't think you can do any damage, even if you disconnected the wires, it would just prevent you from shifting into reverse, the solenoid must have 12 volts to it, But it does, from the factory, you don't even need to touch it when changing the shifter.

BBriBro

Established Member
Still makes you wonder though, why do they even mention bypassing the solenoid? maybe the instructions aren't specific to the 03 cobra, I don't know.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
yea....maybe other cars with T56's need that part of the install done...weird..never heard of it, and I have done countless shifter installs on other cars...

REDRACERS

Established Member
WELL I BOUGHT THE PRO 5.0 BASED ON WHAT I READ HERE. I LIKE THE SHORT THROW BUT THE SHIFTER HAS A VERY HIGH PITCHED WHINE IN 5TH AND 6TH GEAR. I TRIED REDLINE MTL TO NO AVAIL. WHEN COLD SHIFTS ARE VERY VERY STIFF AND NOTCHY BUT MUCH IMPROVED AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Shony
Does the Steeda shifter improve the positioning of the shift knob over stock(ie. moving it towards driver?
Slightly, I think more because of the reduced throw, not necessarily due to the handle design. The handle is very similar to stock, but with the shorter throw, you don't have to move it as far foreward for 1, 3, 5. It's better, but not ideal in my opinion. Maybe a gorilla designed the Mustang, with real LONG arms and short legs. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread