Shifter for T45?

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Hey guys.

I currently have a B&M shifter on my T45, and it just doesn't feel good at all.

I've used lots of shifters before, and even have a MAC shifter on the T5 in the '95 Cobra, and that feels a million times better.

What are you guys using for aftermarket shifters on these cars? I was thinking about getting a MGW shifter, only because of the praise these got on the Mach 1's. I loved my stock shifter in the Mach compared to this B&M.

I know my tranny needs to be replaced sooner or later, only because it will grind 1st to 2nd if I gun it, and it will grind 5th gear if it hasn't had proper time to warm up. It just feels way too stiff, and it never feels that great.

What do you guys think I should get? Plus, I put Royal Purple in my tranny, and the stuff just sucks. I think I'll be dumping it out for some Dexron.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I use a PRO. 5.0, some like it and some hate it. I love how it feels as it has a very precise shift, some think its notchy but dammit I dont miss gears with it and it feels solid as a rock. Just make sure whatever you get you set the bumpstops correctly.

mystical

Established Member
MGW seems to get all the praise, you're right about that. I've got one and I'm happy with it. Don't think you can go wrong with a Pro 5.0 or Tri-ax either.

Definately put dextron/mercon atf back in there.

Immortal LuD

Established Member
MGW it is then. When I took my B&M off to put the fluid in and adjust the bump stops, it was in great condition. I'm just not fond of the feel. So I suppose I'll put that up for sale on the forum, and see if anybody wants it.

Thanks for your comments guys! I'll have to try out the dextron/mercon atf and see if that helps too.

My Birthday is Friday, and I'm going to buy myself the shifter, a new MAC catback to take off the flowturds, new tires to put on the stock Cobra wheels, (Perhaps Nitto's), and god knows what else... Too bad.

mystical

Established Member
Happy Birthday man, presents from yourself are always the best;-) Where are you purchasing the MAC catback from?

crazycarlo

Established Member
I have a tri-ax in my 98 and my buddy has a pro 5.0 in his 3650. I know their two seperate trans but I like my friends better then mine. The tri-ax is pretty smooth but the 5.0 seems alot shorter and more precise. I actually kinda like the notchy feel of it. MGW ive never used but Ive never heard anything bad about them except one guy said he couldnt get his car to powershift with one. Other then that its been all good.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I've got a MGW (was on the car when I got it), no real complaints. I seem to miss second when out on the street, but never had a problem on the strip. I've never used the others, but I know MGW has gotten a ton of good reviews, so hard to go wrong IMO.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
How do you miss second, pull straight back? You may want to check your adjustments on it to make sure everything is right...just a suggestion

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I'm not exactly sure. Like I said, no complaints on the shifter, I'm pretty sure it's either driver error or an adjustment. Nothing's been tampered with as far as adjustments, more than likely just me getting out of sync between the clutch and shifter (letting out on the clutch before it is fully in gear). It isn't a common problem, but sure enough when I need to go I'll do it.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
My Triax seems really notchy going into third especially. Makes me feel like I can't shift fast, but with a smooth shifter I'm really quick.

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
I have a PRO 5.0 on my T45 and love it. I have also used other shifters before and this feels like a very precise shifter as well as a nice short throw into gear.

Mystic LuD

Established Member
Damn, lots of Pro 5.0's in here! I wish I could feel what all of them feel like, but I don't have too many friends with Cobra's around here. :(

Ugh. Oh well. Hopefully I can take care of that soon. What tranny fluid do you guys like the best with these shifters?

Mystic LuD

Established Member
Happy Birthday man, presents from yourself are always the best;-) Where are you purchasing the MAC catback from?

Well, I have one guys on the exhaust forums that apparently has one he'll sell me, otherwise I'll call them and order it directly from MAC. I've bought everything from shifters, caster/camber plates, and midpipes/catbacks from them. They are awesome to deal with over the phone!

jzepp

Established Member
I started out with a Pro 5.0 but didn't like it. I then got an MGW...the best shifter i have owned.

Users who are viewing this thread