Shifter 03 Cobra

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
What Shifter are y'all thinking of trying?

I like the stock shifter.I had the opportunity to check out an 03 Cobra with a Pro 5.0 shifter,It was a little better but not much.

Jim V.

Black Cobra

Established Member
The shifter in the '03 feels totally different than what's in my '98. I read somewhere that the T-56 has built-in positive stops and that the positive stops on after market shifters should be removed prior to installation. If the positive stops being built-into the t-56 is true and I get used to the stock shifter...then I would be prone to just stick with the stock shifter.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
What Shifter are y'all thinking of trying?

I like the stock shifter.I had the opportunity to check out an 03 Cobra with a Pro 5.0 shifter,It was a little better but not much.

Jim V.

I like the stock shifter too. It is leaps and bounds better than the stock shifter on my 2001 Bullitt. I swapped that out for a Steeda Tri-Ax and that made a world of difference. About the only thing that I don't like about the stock shifter is the rubber-isolation. It makes it feel springy and not solid. On the plus side, it does a wonderful job of isolating the NVH from the transmission. The transmission synchro whine from the T-3650 on the Bullitt got completely transmitted through the Tri-Ax and into the aluminum shift knob and out into the cabin. It was totally freaking annoying! So, long story short, I'll most likely be keeping the shifter stock and spending the money elsewhere.

Mark

Evilcartman

Established Member
I installed a Tri-ax. This is the shifter I found best out of all the ones on the market. It does however, add noise. It is the worst in 5th gear, but nothing that the radio can't overpower. I normally go from 4th to 6th anyway, unless I'm racing on the big end. I had a tremec TKO in my '93 GT and it was louder than this one.

When I installed this shifter in my '03, I wrapped the handle with strips of dynomat. Then I put dynomat all around the base of the shifter, but on top of the rubber dust boot. It seems to have cut down on the noise. I had a metal knob on it last week, but it got too hot from the tranny so I reinstalled the factory leather one. This also cut down on the noise from the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread