Shift Work

03BLWNDSG

Established Member
So does anybody else here do 12 hour shift work? I am a plant operator at a plant here where I live but our shift work schedule is so confusing and real stressful. They were telling us that our schedule is proven to be the worst one by OSHA so they are considering changing our schedule up a little hopefully to the 7 on 7 off schedule. There is still debate going on about what schedule they are going with, if they even decide to change it, and they told us they wanted input from everyone at work. Well I have only been there about 2 years so it really doesnt matter to me. But what do y'all think..if you do shift work, how is your schedule set up. Any input will be greatly appreciated...Thanks

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
12's here, 24/7 Ops. We switch from Days to Nights and back every 8 weeks.

Our nominal schedule is a two week repeating, (work) [off]

(Mon-Tues) [Wed-Thurs] (Fri-Sun) [Mon-Tues] (Wed-Thurs) [Fri-Sun] Repeat.

So you never work more than 3 in a row, and you get a 3 day weekend twice a month.

03BLWNDSG

Established Member
yea ours is pretty much the same way. 3 day weekend every other weekend and work no more than three in a row..and thats only on weekends..i mean its nice..its cool being off in the middle of the week and all..

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
10 hour shifts here. 5:30am-3:30pm, 1:00pm-11pm, and 8:30pm-6:30am are our shifts. we rotate monthly. 4 days on, 3 off.

jasil

Established Member
Proven by OSHA to be the worst one in what way? I did alot of shift work years ago.......worked a 2/2/3 and a 4/3.....and imo the 4/3 is great. I would do it now if somehow I could.

A 4/3 is:

Friday,Sat,Sun,Mond, nightshift
Tues,Wed,Thurs, off
Fri,Sat,Sun dayshift
Monday off
Tues,Wed,Thurs nighshift
Fri,Sat,Sun, off
Mon,Tues,Wed,Thurs dayshift,
Frid-the next Thursday off or 7 days off.

I loved it averaged 44 straight time hours a weeks and had 7 days off every month.

03BLWNDSG

Established Member
Haha hell if i know..thats just what the told us..prolly just feeding us some BS..but our schedule is:

tue-wed--days
thurs-fri--off
sat-sun-mon--nights
tues-wed--off
thurs-fri--days
sat-sun-mon--off
tues-wed--nights...and so on

but hey we only work 14 days a month..im not complaining lol

grendel

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't want to work 7 on 7 off. Anything more than 5 night shifts in a row just kill me.

i work that schedule offshore. after we get our weekly reports done and what ever pm'r or what not done for the week we are pretty much done. but we are on call 24/7 so if something goes down in the middle of the night we got to go fix it, but we get paid overtime for it so it isnt to bad

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Proven by OSHA to be the worst one in what way? I did alot of shift work years ago.......worked a 2/2/3 and a 4/3.....and imo the 4/3 is great. I would do it now if somehow I could.

A 4/3 is:

Friday,Sat,Sun,Mond, nightshift
Tues,Wed,Thurs, off
Fri,Sat,Sun dayshift
Monday off
Tues,Wed,Thurs nighshift
Fri,Sat,Sun, off
Mon,Tues,Wed,Thurs dayshift,
Frid-the next Thursday off or 7 days off.

I loved it averaged 44 straight time hours a weeks and had 7 days off every month.

That's the same schedule I work. It's called the Dupont schedule. It's hard switching back and forth from days to nights so quick, it really messes up your sleeping patterns, but you get used to it after awhile. Our 7 days off or "long change" is great. I'm on mine right now. :rockon:

The built in OT, working 14 days and off 14 days every 28 days with a stretch of 7 days in a row is nice. It's also nice to have days off during the week to get stuff done.

bglf83

Established Member
I work shift as well. 2 weeks are day and 2 weeks are night.

Mon, Tues - Day
Wed, Thur, Fri - Rest
Sat, Sun - Day
Mon, Tues - Rest
Wed, Thur, Fri - Day
Sat, Sun - Rest

Same pattern is repeated but it is night shift for 2 weeks. I really like it.

jasil

Established Member
Haha hell if i know..thats just what the told us..prolly just feeding us some BS..but our schedule is:

tue-wed--days
thurs-fri--off
sat-sun-mon--nights
tues-wed--off
thurs-fri--days
sat-sun-mon--off
tues-wed--nights...and so on

but hey we only work 14 days a month..im not complaining lol

That's a 2/2/3 I don't like that nearly as much as a 4/3.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I used to do 4 on 4 off, 12's with a 55 mile commute each way so it made a 14 hour day.

but it was 4 days, 4 off, 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, four off and 4 nights, four off

but you only got weekends off like every 6 weeks or somthing goofy and your check was never the same. it was 72 hou then an 84 hour then a 96 hour the 84 then 72, kind of a pain in the ass.

now i am straight days monday through friday 630 till 300 and i love it, i never realized how bad i hated nights untl i didnt have to do them anymore.

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
my schedule 12 hrs 6pm to 6am

sunday work
mon off
tue off
wed work
thur work
fri off
sat off
sun off
mon work
tue work
wed off
thur off
fri work
sat work
and it starts all over again
sun work

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I used to do 4 on 4 off, 12's with a 55 mile commute each way so it made a 14 hour day.

but it was 4 days, 4 off, 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, four off and 4 nights, four off

but you only got weekends off like every 6 weeks or somthing goofy and your check was never the same. it was 72 hou then an 84 hour then a 96 hour the 84 then 72, kind of a pain in the ass.

now i am straight days monday through friday 630 till 300 and i love it, i never realized how bad i hated nights untl i didnt have to do them anymore.

Ya, this is how my schedule was. It was hard to live a normal life. I dumped that place after 2 months. Plus I was tired of smelling like burnt plastic.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Ya, this is how my schedule was. It was hard to live a normal life. I dumped that place after 2 months. Plus I was tired of smelling like burnt plastic.

yeah it would have been ok if you didnt work 4 nights then 4 days off then 4 nights again, tough part was getting used to day life again then having to go right back to nights.

and the burnt plastic would suck too. Worst part about mine was sneezing out black boogers every night in the shower... Damn coal dust.

Users who are viewing this thread